“Learned a lesson.”

Dining options: Late Night
Portland, Oregon
“Learned a lesson.”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

It was actually my second visit to this place. I did not have a good experience at the first time, but I tried it again because we were just in the vicinity and there was not any other place close by.

The experience was terrible.

The wait was too long. After sitting, it took about 10 minutes for a server to come by. Yes, the place was busy, but knowing we were there, no excuse in my standard.

The order came so late. We waited for 45 minutes by the time some of the food arrived. Surprisingly, my order was only a cup of soup! After 45 minutes, it did not show. I don't believe they would make it from scratch.

Some of us did not have enough time to wait for the food, so we left. When we were leaving, the server was upset at us saying how few servers they have and they have only one cook. Is that our problem? I think they'd better talk to the management.

If you have whole afternoon to wait, go for it. But their food is nothing special and the beers are also what you can get at any other breweries or stores. There seems to be local regular customers and they seemed to be treated much better. My friends and I will never go back.

• Visited June 2011

Donald, Oregon
“Very Tasty Rueben”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I split a reuben which was very tasty and is one the best in town. Service was a bit abbreviated and we seemed to be invisible sometimes with the lack of attention. We would go back but we hope we receive better service

• Visited July 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Good food but lousy service”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

As a new arrival to Portland who also loves a good Reuben, I was excited to learn about the Goose Hollow Inn, which boasts "the world's best Reuben sandwich." Last weekend, we made the trek to try it out. Never again.

The food was indeed good -- my Reuben, and the others' veggie burger and French dip sandwiches - but "world's best"? Doubtful. The service, though, may be among the world's worst.

Seated at one of the tables, the bartender/waitress practically ignored us. She never once checked back to see if the food was OK, if we'd like another beverage, or in any way acknowledged us once she delivered the food until it was time to bring the check. Had it been busy, it might have been forgivable, but it was a very quiet Saturday night.

The food is good, though not breathtaking, and they do have some interesting local beers, so if you don't mind poor service, it might be OK. Otherwise, save yourself the grief.

1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
“Food's decent but the service is dreadful.”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Food's decent but the service is dreadful.

1 Thank DavidOPortland
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love the patio, great Ruben”
Reviewed June 17, 2008