“Conflicting ratings tell a story”
Review of India House

India House
Reserve with OpenTable
India House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,705 of 4,386 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This restaurant had highly conflicting reviews--that usually tells you something. And I should have listened! But we were downtown for a show and decided to return to India House after about 12 years. Not a great experience. Spotty service and the food ranged from poor to passable depending on the item. Had to ask for the pappadams that were supposed to come with the lamb thalis dinner. Had to ask for a refill of hot water for the tea after I drank the half cup they had served me. As for the food, the tandoori lamb consisted of two bite size pieces of cold lamb, the naan was burned, tough, and cold, and nothing on the thalis platter stood out as anything but passable. My wife ordered a chicken korma curry and that was what she got. A bowl of curry. No rice, no naan. We have eaten in Indian restaurants all over the world and I don't recall ever ordering a curry dish that did not include a portion of rice.
There are considerably better Indian restaurants in Portland, for example Swagat, so I recommend avoiding this one.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This restaurant was highly recommended by our hotel receptionist, and as indicated by some reviews, some locals really seem to like this place. Our first clue that we would be disappointed was the lack of Indians in the place, but as my husband said to me, there are no Indians in Portland. Which could really be the only explanation for why some people actually like this place - because they have no idea what real Indian food is supposed to taste like!! Bland as all heck; none of the myriad of flavors / spices / herbs that are supposed to dance on your tongue when eating Indian. Only saving grace is that the waitress was very pleasant, place seemed clean, decor nice. But that's just not enough to make up for the food. Most disappointing meal I've had in years.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Indian food, properly made, has a rich complexity of spices. Cumin, cinnamon, pepper, anise...etc. These were simply not evident. It is no exaggeration to say I have had better Indian cuisine from a can.

The server did a stellar job. He was quick personable and accommodating.

Alas, the owner stood overlooking the restaurant with an almost hostile bearing. He at no point inquired about us or our meal.

The place clearly has a following. I'd say that must be from prior reputation or location.

The kitchen is seriously underperforming. Hopefully that will be addressed before the existing clientele vanish.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We've been going to India House for over a decade. It's fabulous food and the owner, Tarik, takes exceptional pride in having a high class, high quality restaurant. I can't fathom the negative reviews.....this restaurant is EXCEPTIONAL and we have much difficulty finding food this authentic or good at ANY other Indian restaurant in Portland or OTHER cities and countries. My husband is an Indian and vegetarian so we look! We even have to make reservations to ensure prompt seating because this restaurant is filled from 5-9pm and later by local 'foodies'; it really is exceptional. In all our years of enjoying this wonderful place we've NEVER encountered one event or incident that suggests ANY of the negative reviews are true. (I wonder if it's the competition?)

The only thing I find WRONG with this cozy little restaurant is that it's NOT big enough to accomodate MORE people at one time!! Knowing it's busy most of the time makes it less of an option if we have NOT planned ahead. :)

Go and enjoy this wonderful place!!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Bland. Poor quality. Soggy. There's a much better Indian buffet very close by. There wasn't much selection on the buffet either, although the pakora was fine.