“Great find” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Cafe

Island Cafe
Ranked #61 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cafe, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Centralia, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I agree with one of the other reviewer "It felt like you were on vacation" . Laid back and a great place to finish of the day right before dusk. Many good sandwich and salad choices on the menu. I had the chicken avocado sandwich which was really good. However, the table next to us ordered the fish taco which I am thinking my choice for next time. Busy place. Get there early.

• Visited October 2012

Lynnwood, Washington
“Taste Of The Islands In Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

What a find this is! It's a little bit out of the way, but what a fun place. Island Cafe is on a floating dock on the Columbia River on Hayden Island. After a short walk, we didn't have to wait too long and we got in an hour before sunset. That's when they start shutting down. Island Cafe is like what you would find on TV or movies when you see a restaurant on the beach, but there is no beach. All seats are outside on floating decks. Some are covered and it looks like the bar area was too. Our table was not covered and we had a nice view of the almost full moon and Mount Hood. Looking behind us we were treated to our second beautiful sunset in a row. Outside the restaurant area you can watch the ducks and the boats go by. The food was pretty good too and it's not that expensive. I ordered an Island Turkey Special sandwich and it came out great. Mixed with bacon, avocado, and Swiss cheese, it hit the spot. Fries cost extra, but Maui sweet onion potato chips come with the meal. I did sample some of the clam strips. Those are very good too and I think they are the biggest clam strips I have ever seen. Drinks are served in plastic cups which makes for an interesting, but fun touch. Fantastic last dinner on our vacation. Looks like I unknowingly saved the best for last. I'm glad I did.

• Visited August 2012
White Rock, Canada
“Sunny, Heidi a gem of the Hostess”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Every year we go to the Island Cafe, two show up early to put our name on the list, and the other 8 (10 in total) come when the table is ready, as they have been Vintage Car Racing all day. They put us all together, served drinks together, as was the food, awesome. We were on the water, staff were soooo good to us. Several in the group eat there regularly, we will never go elsewhere;)

Visited September 2012
Tigard, Oregon
“Feels LIke Vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I love the Island Cafe! It is located on a floating dock on the Columbia River in a very busy area of boats, marinas, and houseboats. After walking down a long ramp to the dock we waited to be seated. Who minds waiting when you can watch the ducks, dream while looking at huge boats for sale, and then thinking about buying a summer place while glancing at houseboats across the river? This place is low key, very casual, but really good. We have eaten there twice this summer. The first time I had fish and chips which were very tasty. The second time I had the shrimp salad, loaded with shrimp and the dressing of your choice. The sun was out, plants all around, beautiful water, how can this not feel like you are far away on vacation?

• Visited September 2012
Delta, Canada
“Wonderful on a summer's day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had to backtrack along a short road three times to find this restaurant which had been highly recommended by our hotel desk clerk. It was well worth the search. We sat on a floating dock where I had a lobster wrap and my husband had a shrimp salad. Both were excellent. It was a beautiful day, and we watched birds, boats, and kids from the dock.

• Visited August 2012