“Consistently excellent breakfast place”

Mother's Bistro & Bar
Ranked #8 of 4,270 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: International, American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Willamette Week's "restaurant of the year," Mother's serves comfort food classics made from scratch, perfected in the hands of four star restaurant-trained chef Lisa Schroeder. With melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, pot roast, chicken & dumplings and a decadent, different macaroni & cheese daily, home cooking is elevated to high art for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Full Bar & happy hour too!
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Consistently excellent breakfast place”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

When I'm in Portland I try to get to Mother's. Very tasty, with friendly staff and lots of options. Their hot chocolate is the best. The only negative is a sometimes long wait with a crowded front entry. If you don't mind the wait (mostly on weekends), it's worth it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Simply delish”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went for lunch, party of three on a Thursday, and only had to wait less than 5 minutes. The food is amazing- everything local, homemade. We had the pierogis for an app and then the Bennys Chicken sandwich, the pulled pork sandwich and the cheddar mac n cheese. Words cant do it justice. Just extremely good- a must visit in Portland. The espresso is great too.

“Good but not great”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Pretty good breakfast place. Lots of tasty options. Service was great. We ordered a greek fritata, biscuits and gravy and Mikes scramble. Food was good but not great. Would probably give this place a 3.5 stars if I could.

Portland, Oregon
“Welcome to the 'Pirates of the Haunted Mansion' Inn?”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

For me the interior is the star of show! Lets have some fun with this one... ;-)

Located in a vintage building close the riverfront in downtown Portland. The building has an old world charm.

Upon entering Mother's, I instantly became confused by what I saw. To the left is the restaurant and to the right is a bar area. Hmmmm..... "Mothers?' I was trying to picture something motherly, but the bar side kept throwing me off! Who associates their MOTHER with a bar? My attention soon turned to the decor... it's rather dizzying.

The bar is a cross between Vintage Saloon with brick walls, but has that 1970's velvet touchy feelie rot iron designed wallpaper and a early 90's Granite tiled bar.... So, where are we going with this? Vintage Saloon Cat House Sushi Bar? I don't get it .....and who's MOM would hang out here? All I could think was the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. I could see Pirates sitting in this room.

Turn to the left..... Ah, the Restaurant area! Now, everything was coming together!? It looks like a Disney stage set. Black ceilings.... that way the decor disappears into the ethereal nothingness of ceiling space. Big billowy curtains with mix-n-match Crystal chandeliers. A 1930's country kitchen motif crossed with a Suburban 1970's faux Italian Bistro with a Ladies boudoir groove? Lots of gold trim with white paint and mirrors framed in gaudy gold frames. OMG.... Where am I?? I see my Italian Aunts tacky Italian living room from the 60's and 70's crossed with a Bordello. If there were cobwebs I'd feel like I was at the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland! I expected to see Madame Leota hovering in her crystal ball over a booth in the corner and ghostly spirits flying across those blackened stage like ceilings.

Very strange, very visually confusing... I still don't know who's mother they had in mine for the theme?

Oh.... the Food and service.

Service was fine enough.

Old school Comfort Food is the theme... maybe that's the "MOTHER" theme? Some of the dishes are from my Grandmothers era. Breakfast seems better than other menus of the day. Breakfast menu crosses comfort food with a slight worldly charm. It's good food that you could make at home, but decided to cut yer mother some slack and take her out.

Lunch and Dinner Menus look like Flashback Friday.

Appetizers are made well enough but are all tired and dated. Fried Ravioli? A little too 1980's for me... The Salmon Pate was about the best on that list for me.

Dinner selection... Once again.... Comfort Food! Chicken, Pot Roast, Meatloaf....zzzzzzzz......snore.... Oh! ....and Mac-n-Cheese! How I loath seeing this on a menu.... Adults eating Mac-n-cheese seems juvenile and sacrilegious to me. Of course, it could just be me... I always want to walk over to an adult eating mac-n-cheese and say, "Someday when you're older, you can sit at the big table and eat with the adults."

All in all..... A dizzying amusement park/Bordello theme with good old fashion comfort food. I expect Walt Disney's ghostly silhouette to appear on the walls... Is that what ya want? Well, here it is...

• Visited February 2014
Altadena, California
“Great Breakfasts”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had to wait a bit to get a table, but it was worth it. Great eggs benedict (with freshly-made hollandaise), endless cups of really good coffee, gets you back out there quickly too.

• Visited May 2013