“great food and great gluten free food”

Mother's Bistro & Bar
Ranked #7 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Willamette Week's "restaurant of the year," Mother's serves comfort food classics made from scratch, perfected in the hands of four star restaurant-trained chef Lisa Schroeder. With melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, pot roast, chicken & dumplings and a decadent, different macaroni & cheese daily, home cooking is elevated to high art for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Full Bar & happy hour too!
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We ate there 3 times in 4 days. There is always a line and it is hard to make reservations. They have gluten free bread and pasta.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,607)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went here for a friend's birthday dinner because they were able to accommodate a group of 12 at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. The waiter was impatient with me because I wasn't able to come to a snap decision about what to order (as I wasn't terribly impressed with the dinner menu options). I ended up ordering half-chicken-dumplings with half-pot-roast. My date had the chicken fried chicken and ordered the fried ravioli appetizer to share with the group. His chicken and the ravioli tasted pretty good. My half-order of chicken dumplings equaled one dumpling and one ounce of chicken breast in a shallow bowl of gravy, while the half-order of pot roast equaled one ounce of pot roast, about two ounces of mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup of cooked zucchini, and gravy. The regular sized order of chicken dumplings was $14.95, yet my half & half order ended costing $18.50. Not worth it (although the boyfriend told me I was :) )! For $18.50 I expect either leftovers (because I have a fairly small appetite) or a fantastic meal, and received neither.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Ate twice at this location during our stay in Portland with various sized groups. Service was great on both occasions. Food was flavorful and filling and would consider a value. If looking for something to keep you going for a while, the Stuffed Frittata will fit the bill.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you can not find a table seat at the bar and enjoy a manmosa, a mimosa in a pint glass.
The food comes pile high and fresh from the stove. Friendly staff and wiling to assist with any request.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Mother's Bistro & Bar is a loud, busy, and packed restaurant in Southeastern Portland, but the quality of the menu makes it worth the wait. Of course, part of our problem was that we got there at 10am on the weekend, which means we were there at peak breakfast hours. However, the staff has this ability to quickly cook a delicious meal in a reasonable time line ( when seated ), while the wait staff can still have a thoughtful conversation. I suppose, the demand for Mother's is a great sign that people will wait forever to just taste the eggs, savory dishes, or waffles ( perhaps they should open a second location! ).

I ordered the waffles because I just really wanted something sweet. The waffles were massive in size and with a lovely golden brown complexion. However, the spiced apple topping brought it to a new level. It gave me a toasty and warm feeling that reminds me of the holidays. I also tried some of the egg dishes ( biscuit breakfast, mushroom scrabble, etc ) from my friends and all of them were scrumptious. One other thing that I noticed, Mother's has complimentary coffee and tea for patrons who are waiting for a table. And this is really the epitome of Mother's. Yes, she is busy, but she can carve out a chunk of time for you. Another key part of Mother's is that the restaurant is beautiful - the decor is chic with high ceilings, fancy and large mirrors, and a variety of chandeliers.