“Crowded bur worth the wait.”

Mother's Bistro & Bar
Ranked #9 of 4,560 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Willamette Week's "restaurant of the year," Mother's serves comfort food classics made from scratch, perfected in the hands of four star restaurant-trained chef Lisa Schroeder. With melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, pot roast, chicken & dumplings and a decadent, different macaroni & cheese daily, home cooking is elevated to high art for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Full Bar & happy hour too!
Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you can not find a table seat at the bar and enjoy a manmosa, a mimosa in a pint glass.
The food comes pile high and fresh from the stove. Friendly staff and wiling to assist with any request.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,655)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Mother's Bistro & Bar is a loud, busy, and packed restaurant in Southeastern Portland, but the quality of the menu makes it worth the wait. Of course, part of our problem was that we got there at 10am on the weekend, which means we were there at peak breakfast hours. However, the staff has this ability to quickly cook a delicious meal in a reasonable time line ( when seated ), while the wait staff can still have a thoughtful conversation. I suppose, the demand for Mother's is a great sign that people will wait forever to just taste the eggs, savory dishes, or waffles ( perhaps they should open a second location! ).

I ordered the waffles because I just really wanted something sweet. The waffles were massive in size and with a lovely golden brown complexion. However, the spiced apple topping brought it to a new level. It gave me a toasty and warm feeling that reminds me of the holidays. I also tried some of the egg dishes ( biscuit breakfast, mushroom scrabble, etc ) from my friends and all of them were scrumptious. One other thing that I noticed, Mother's has complimentary coffee and tea for patrons who are waiting for a table. And this is really the epitome of Mother's. Yes, she is busy, but she can carve out a chunk of time for you. Another key part of Mother's is that the restaurant is beautiful - the decor is chic with high ceilings, fancy and large mirrors, and a variety of chandeliers.

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed late morning breakfast. We were promptly seated by a very personable host. When my coffee arrived old and luke warm, the waitress immediately returned with another cup - hot & fresh.
My powder sugar dusted pancakes were good. The pure maple syrup was heavenly! Our fresh fruit plate included sliced banana, green apple and cantaloupe chunks. Certainly was good.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My group ate here on Christmas morning during our trip to Oregon. It was extremely crowded, but we only had to wait around 20 minutes. Even with the crowd, the service was good. We tried eggs (with bacon and potatoes) and the breakfast nachos. Everyone was extremely pleased with their meals and service. We would recommend this to anyone that plans to eat breakfast in Portland.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were very pleased with their brunch menu and the service was great. They were packed, (the earlier you get there the better) but we still had excellent service. The omelets were very tasty and momisa was delicious, we will be back!