“...just like my mum made”

Mother's Bistro & Bar
Ranked #10 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Willamette Week's "restaurant of the year," Mother's serves comfort food classics made from scratch, perfected in the hands of four star restaurant-trained chef Lisa Schroeder. With melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, pot roast, chicken & dumplings and a decadent, different macaroni & cheese daily, home cooking is elevated to high art for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Full Bar & happy hour too!
Reviewed December 9, 2012

On a recent trip to Portland, we visited Mothers for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Breakfast was great, lunch was delicious - the chicken soup with kneidlach was just what was needed, and I had no hesitation in telling the owner it was "just like my mum made"! The evening meal which we had with some friends was well prepared and tasty.

All in all a great place to eat - what more can one say?

1  Thank Bazzerlondon

Reviewed December 5, 2012

A friend recommended Mother's and I owe her one! Today's lunch was excellent. I had the trout special, my guest (a real foodie) had soup and salad. The atmosphere is upbeat and offbeat. Picture fancy light fixtures, framed mirrors, high ceilings in a working class part of the SW attracting the young who want a dining experience that's not pricey. When the check came, complimentary cookies did too. What's not to like??

Reviewed December 5, 2012

In a town known as a breakfast haven, you will find this placve to be one of teh best, yet expect a wait as is known for it's delicious breakfast!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was probably the highlight of our stay. The surroundings are warm and cosy. Many chandeliers, mirrors and pictures of women with babies, just the right amount.

We had a cocktail to start served by a delightful waiter. We were invited to take our time looking at the menu. They have a great theme , Mother of the Month recipe, they invite you to nominate yourself or someone you know to put a dish on. I love this idea. I chose trout with orzo and spinach. The trout was covered in hazel nuts ( nuts are in season) and grilled, the spinach was fresh and just cooked perfectly. I had a glass of pinot grigio from Oregon, light and refreshing. We had no room for their amazing pudding.

The waiter, Shane Patrick, was a great young man who was very knowledgeable about his work.

We decided to come back next day for brunch. It was heaving people queuing up and ready to wait 1/2 hour for a table. We were lucky, we found a first come first served seating area at the counter and indulged for the last time in poached eggs, ham and biscuits. And large pot coffee. The biscuits are like scones only lighter and yummy.

This is a really great place and I love the concept, not too over powering in the mother stakes. Just as we say in psychotherapy 'Good enough'

Highly recommend. Book to secure a place.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Mother's Bistro is a good restaurant for any occasion, especially for breakfast on the weekends. But my favorite is happy hour in the bar. Great food, drinks and prices. But get there early as it is always crowded.