“Great breakfast & service.”

Mother's Bistro & Bar
Ranked #10 of 4,317 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Willamette Week's "restaurant of the year," Mother's serves comfort food classics made from scratch, perfected in the hands of four star restaurant-trained chef Lisa Schroeder. With melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, pot roast, chicken & dumplings and a decadent, different macaroni & cheese daily, home cooking is elevated to high art for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Full Bar & happy hour too!
atlanta
“Great breakfast & service.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Found this place via TripAdvisor as we r staying in nearby Hotel Monaco (which we r enjoying very much, btw). Arrived at 8 AM so there was no wait, however, folks were waiting all over the place by the time we left. Our server was Jacob & he was excellent. I had the Eggs Benedict which is listed as a special on the weekends. I order it wherever I travel so I'm used to eating all quality levels. This was definitely one of the best - the sauce & egg were cooked perfectly & I loved every bite. The coffee was good & my husband said his omelette was excellent. The dining area was bright & airy with tons of wait staff scurrying to keep up with the crowd. We both highly recommend u arrive early - but it's well worth the visit. We r planning to return during our Portland stay.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Omaha, Nebraska
“Excellent breakfast in Portland”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had the pancakes and apple sausage; hubby had the salmon hash. Both were excellent--I had to try his. Very cozy place for breakfast. Good service--coffee cup was never empty. It looks like you're eating in someone's livingroom--very pretty lighting, and the place isn't very big, so it's cozy without being crowded. Casual attire is fine.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rhonda C
Anaheim, CA
“Had a great breakfast here.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had a delicious egg white omelet here . We all loved our food. From oatmeal to eggs, it was all good. Would love to go back and see the bar scene. They were accomodating when I told them no potatoes and easily substitied fruit.

Visited September 2012
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“Mother's knows best!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is the second time I went there. Just when I thought the biscuits and gravy couldn't be beaten, I tried the fresh salmon hash. Wow, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The coffee is great too! Highly recommend this place.

Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Eat in the room with the French Provincial type decor”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We went to Mother’s twice during our stay in Portland and wanted to go again for lunch on our last day, a Sunday, but faced a 45 minute wait to get a table. It turns out that not only are all tourists required to pay at least one visit to Mother’s, half the population of Portland also ends up there! Needless to say, 45 minutes was a problem as we had a plane to catch.

Here is the thing about Mother’s though, there are three distinct seating areas to this restaurant. On our first visit for supper we were seated in the large dining room with a French provincial flair to it. The wood slats on the wall and some cabinets a pale yellow shade, lacy curtains around the window edges—I think you get the picture. Right away one feels comfortable. And the food was good too, although let’s not get carried away just because it is called Mother’s. Really, the mother of Mother’s is not actually slaving over a hot stove in the kitchen.

On our second visit, for lunch this time, we ended up in one of the other seating areas where there is a bar. Seating was rather tight and the decor tended more towards dark wood and mirrors all over the place. Also that lunch time crowd tended to be rather noisier. Hence it wasn’t quite as pleasant as our dinner visit. The food was still good but really no better than at a number of other restaurants in Portland. Our lunch time experience would have been more enjoyable had we been able to sit in the room with the French provincial decor. Something other visitors might consider asking for if they visit Mother’s.

• Visited September 2012