“What a find!”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Shopping second hand stores in Sellwood and happened upon this gem. Great atmosphere and menu. Amazing desserts!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We made our second trip to have dinner with friends. Our waiter was great and so is the food. Save room for dessert. This lively spot is reasonable and fun. We will go back.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

wonderful food, excellent service, casual atmosphere, dessers to die for. relaxed eating experience, spending several hours talking is fine.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've been to this Papa Haydn's 10-12 times over the past 6 or so years. It has become the go-to place for my wife and I to have a 2-hr dinner-out without the kids. We just had an excellent meal there this past Saturday night.

We sat outside, well surrounded by greenery, with a simple water fountain in the middle of the patio. The ambiance was festive and fairly relaxed, with two groups with young children, another group of adults having a rousing time (indeed, they were laughing so hard I wanted to go find out what the joke was!).

On most other restaurant menus, usually less than half of the appetizers or entrees are dishes I would order. Literally every single item on their menu sounded terrific to me. This probably describes my preferences more than the quality of the food, but this makes Papa Haydn an easy choice to walk into. It makes for a difficult choice of what dish to choose, however. Since many of the ingredients are local and organic, it made me want to order the steak and then ask the server if they have documentation on the animal, his name, was he happy, etc., a-la Portlandia.

Luckily my wife and I often split our dishes so we get to eat half of 2 appetizers and half of 2 entrees. The chicken liver pate is served with crisp, thinly sliced and buttered french bread, cornichons, apple confit, olives and pickled onions. The three beet salad had thinly sliced beets, yellow, red and orange that were tender and lightly seasoned, with a bed of dressed greens. The entrees we chose were the pork and the hunter's pasta. The pork dish was not what is on the online menu but a roasted loin on the bone in a flavorful broth with carrots, potatoes and other veggies. The pasta was in a rich cream/cheese/herb sauce, hard for me not to like any dish like this, but it was well prepared and delicious.

Papa Haydn's is known for their desserts, offering an unbelievable variety of high-quality pastries and cakes. For dessert we split the marjolaine, a napoleon-type pastry with a chocolate caramel sauce, and we rolled ourselves out the door.

Our entree prices were $18-22, appetizers $8-11. Service was attentive, professional and fully answered questions. I highly recommend going to Papa Haydn's, mostly for adults, or for a dessert outing with kids. And go hungry.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I just enjoyed a wonderful lunch with friends on the patio of Papa Haydn in the Sellwood area of Portland. The patio was really nice and much better than sitting inside where it seemed pretty dark and dreary. Great food and ambiance!