“Excellent food paired with excellent views - hard to beat!”

Portland City Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Portland City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Transit: Public transportation is available via Max Transit system and Tri-Met.
Reviewed August 31, 2014

While working in the Portland area, my parents were also in town, and so one night, I took my mother out for dinner. Since I am usually dining alone, it is hard to go to certain restaurants and truly enjoy the experience. So, I opted to make a reservation and take her to the Portland City Grill.

Reservations are quite easy, particularly if you also use Open Table, and - based on my experience - can be made on the same day as your meal with no significant issues. Parking is fairly easy, as it is located in the lower level of the U.S. Bank Tower; as such, it is an easy and quick elevator ride to the restaurant on the 30th floor. (Signage directing you to the correct elevator bank are satisfactory).

Let's start with the views from the restaurant, which are stunning. There is a panoramic view, mostly to the north, east, and south, which provide sweeping views of the Willamette River and - on a clear day - the Cascade Range. While you cannot request a window-side table at the time of reservation, you can request it upon arrival, or just go by "luck of the draw". As it turned out, I did the latter, and we were seated window-side. However, both my mother and I agreed that a table in on the main floor would have been just as appealing in terms of view.

As for the meal, there is a good selection of appetizers, soups, salads, and entrees, many of which feature Northwest-bred or grown products. The wine list is pretty good for a restaurant of this type, and - though I did not take advantage of it - I noted that their wait staff seemed well-versed on pairings and varieties.

We both opted for the top sirloin, which were cooked to absolute perfection. It was the proverbial case of meat "melting" in your mouth. We also appreciated that it was lightly seasoned, so as to enjoy the taste and flavor of the beef rather than being overwhelmed by salt, pepper, or the like. The buttermilk mashed potatoes and grilled, seasoned green beans - which are standard sides - were also perfectly prepared and portion size. They were delicious in their own right, but did not take away from the exquisitely-prepared steak. For dessert, we shared a marionberry cobbler, which was also quite delicious, and prepared and served in cast iron.

Service throughout was outstanding. Our waiter was very attentive, but not intrusive. I observed that he and his fellow wait staff were quite good at "surveying" their tables from afar, then attending almost "on-time" without long waits. Also, we never once felt rushed throughout any part of our dining experience, even as it got busier later in the evening.

Prices are comparable, or perhaps a bit less expensive, to restaurants of this ilk.

Overall, this was an outstanding experience. One could reasonably expect a wonderful view and/or location to be let down by mediocre or awful food and/or service. At the Portland City Grill, the food and service rises to the occasion, and will distract you for the stunning views.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,979)

Reviewed August 31, 2014

I chose this restaurant for my wife's 40th birthday largely predicated on positive reviews here and our party of four was not disappointed. A quick elevator ride to the 30th floor delivers you to a welcoming setting of dark wood, and a panorama of the Oregon vista. We were lucky to have clear skies so the late afternoon views were amazing. Our server was prompt and after taking our wine order, suggested we split the Kung Pao Calamari. Said it would plenty for all of us to share. He wasn't kidding! The plate arrived and the appetizer was indeed huge. Don't order this by yourself and expect to eat anything else. Unlike most calamari preparations which feature either hoops or tentacles, this one is served in large chunks of meat, with a deliciously sweet-yet-spicy batter. The dish is accompanied by plenty of peppers, onions and peanuts. Went surprisingly well with our Oregon Pinot Noir. For my entree I chose a filet mignon. It was cooked to perfection in their 1800-degree oven and was served with a nice baked potato with all the fixings. I had alerted the restaurant we were coming for my wife's birthday and they had decorated our table and presented a nice birthday card from management. They backed it up with a complimentary dessert, which we shared then found room to split two more sweets at the table. The creme brûlée was fantastic, but outdone by the flour-less chocolate cake. Greta view. Great food Great Service. An easy 5 for me.

Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

The view, the service (we had Cody), and the food... Stellar! We were celebrating a birthday - and they put Happy Birthday confetti on the table.. Lovely touch!

Alyssa H, Manager at Portland City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are glad you chose Portland City Grill for your birthday celebration and that Cody took great care of you. We hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks again,
PCG Team

Reviewed August 27, 2014

For our last night in Portland I wanted to have a nice romantic dinner with my girlfriend. Based on a recommendation from one of those travel guides, we made last-minute reservations for Portland City Grill. The restaurant is on the 40th floor with large windows with panoramic views of Portland and the surrounding areas. The staff is professional, friendly and helpful with suggestions and attention to detail. Our meals were delicious and topped off with a marionberry cobbler ala mode for dessert. Great dining experience with stunning views.

Alyssa H, Manager at Portland City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Thank you for the excellent review! We are very pleased to hear you loved the service, views and food. We appreciate you taking the time to write a great review and hope to have you here again in the future.
Cheers,
PCG Team

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

If you could express the gorgeous views out the window into the taste of the food served, Portland City Grill has it mastered.

We ordered the appetizers of scallops, spicy tuna roll and crab cakes. They were as pleasing to the palette as the restaurant's gorgeous sky high views of Portland is to the eyes.

Will definitely be a "must-do" the next time I'm in Portland. Love this place.

Been to Portland City Grill? Share your experiences!