“Gorgeous view with a personal touch.”

Portland City Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Portland City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 4,320 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Transit: Public transportation is available via Max Transit system and Tri-Met.
Seattle, Washington
“Gorgeous view with a personal touch.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary here. We were disappointed that even though we made a reservation we had to wait in the bar for 30 minutes for our table but they took time to adorn our table with rose petals and "happy anniversary" confetti and they seated us at a gorgeous corner table--sunset on one side, moon rising on the other. Food was fabulous. The calamari appetizer was delicious and HUGE (we had to get a to-go box for it--when do you need that for an appetizer?). Service was very pleasant and the overall dining experience was great. one thing of note, we thought (coming from Seattle) that this was a very formal dining setting but people were wearing all sorts of casual (cut off tees and basketball shorts) that we found off.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
“Great happy hour”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went for happy hour and had drinks and 5 apps. Had the burger app, calamari, steak and fries, salmon cakes and riblets. The only one that wasn't a hit with our group was the riblets. They have an asian sauce that we just didn't love. Everything else was great and the price was right. The view was fantastic of course, plus they validate parking, how cool.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“The views don't outweigh the food/cost”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a window seat. The hostess was very nice and asked us if we wanted to wait for one. When we were perusing the wine list I asked for the Sommelier and was told he was off. Although we all deserve the day off for a Friday night I would think, especially in this type of restaurant, you'd have a back up. Disappointed. The rib eye steak we ordered came out the wrong temperature, as I note from other reviews an on going complaint, given it is a steakhouse you would think that would be the last of their issues. The steak was sent back to be corrected. At the same time my food, which sat in front of me while I waited for the return of the steak, should have been removed to be kept warm. The steak returned and was extremely tough. You couldn't even slice through it easily. It was sent back and we decided at that point to share my meal. At our request they brought out a dish of mashed potatoes and green beans I have to say I was a bit surprised that the only compensation was that the steak was removed from the check. We have eaten at this level of dining many times before and received far better compensation for issues that have arised. Given the price the food was average. I would suggest to visit the bar area for a drink and the view.

Portland, Oregon
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I made an online reservation for this place, letting them know that it was my wife and my anniversary. We got a table with a great view, and they even put little anniversary decorations on our table. Very nice of them. So if you've never been here, it's on the 30th floor, which means awesome views. It's considered fine dining in Portland, although they do not have a dress code. I actually lost some luggage and showed up in jeans. A bit embarrassing but we were still treated well. The service was good, although it wasn't busy while we were there. Our server started off rather awkward, just standing there not really saying anything, just looking at us. He got better quickly though. I ordered a 2008 vintage pinot noir from their wine list, but our server came back and said they were out. He offered a 2007 bottle which is actually a bit harder to find so that was nice actually. The food was good, as expected at $42 for an entree. My halibut was actually a little overcooked, but not bad. They probably let it rest too long before bringing it out. Dessert was great, we shared a creme brulee that was cooked perfectly (it sounds silly, but a lot of places mess it up).
Overall, this is a good place for special events, dates, and that sort of thing. If you're looking for strictly amazing food check out some of my other reviews of Portland digs, but this is a nice "whole package" restaurant.

Stamford, Connecticut
1,100 restaurant reviews
“All about views not food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We went there for our birthday. Both our steaks were cooks wrong. They comped us one and gave us 2 desserts free. The service was good just disappointed with the steak. The views were amazing. Even if you make reservations they won't save a window table. They are on first come basis.