“Above it all!”

Portland City Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Portland City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 4,593 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Scenic view, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Transit: Public transportation is available via Max Transit system and Tri-Met.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

There were three of us for lunch on a weekday mid-afternoon at this restaurant on the 30th floor of the US Bancorp Building in downtown Portland. I thought from looking at the PCG website we were entering a stuffy old-style place. I could not have been more wrong. We were immediately ushered to a window table affording a panoramic view of downtown Portland and even a glimpse of Mt. Hood, shimmering ghostly in the distance.

Our server Katie was relatively new to the PCG, but you wouldn't know it - she saw to our needs very well. Questions were asked and answered to our satisfaction. My wife had a tofu dish, her friend Lemon Sole. Both were perfect in execution and presentation. I ordered what I thought would be a relatively humble Fish and Chips. Nope, this was elevated to art. It was the best Fish & Chips I had ever had and surprised me that such a dish could turn out so well with a few creative touches.

Toward the end of our meal, Katie took a moment to engage with us. She pointed out the line to Voodoo Donuts, which we could see from the high vantage point.

If this restaurant is rated only 25th of all Portland restaurants, I can only imagine what the top 24 are like!

Very highly recommended for a special meal with family and friends, or a high-level business lunch.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,051)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

A group of us had dinner at the City Grill recently, and deliberately made a 9:15 pm reservation to avoid the dinner crowd. Before we arrived we asked to merge two 6-person reservations into a one 10-person reservation, and were fine with waiting an extra 15-20 minutes. Fifty minutes later, we were taken to our table.

The restaurant was very crowded, every table filled. But it was surprisingly un-noisy (at least where we were seated, near the wine corridor). The service was impeccable. Our table was assigned two waiters, a great approach for a large group. They efficiently took orders, and throughout the evening, one of them was always nearby to check on us.

Most of us ordered steaks. I ordered a medium-rare top sirloin, which came with awesome crispy green beans and somewhat bland mashed potatoes. Then I checked my steak, cutting into one end to make sure it was medium rare. It was bloody. So I cut into the center, and it was nearly raw. So my steak went back to the kitchen. By now it was 10:30, and I was tired and hungry and not a little disappointed. My new steak was delivered quickly, and it was nearly as bloody as the first one. I ate it anyway, not wanting to delay my friends any further.

The manager came by to check on us, and asked if my second steak was to my liking. I appreciated this, but shouldn't the chef have checked the steak before it left the kitchen? He offered to have another steak prepared for me, but I declined. If they couldn't get it right in two, I wasn't confident that the third would be any better.

BTW: the City Grill has a split happy hour, and the menu looks amazing, with lots of variety and inventive-looking food. While we waited at the bar for our reservation, we watched some tasty-looking food being delivered to the woman sitting next to us. She had salmon cakes, Caesar salad, and spicy basil chicken with rice... more food for about half of what I paid for my steak dinner.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I went to Portland City Grill several times for happy hour on my most recent visit to Portland . The view is outstanding and the service,food and priceing are very good as well.On a diffrent trip to Portland I had dinner there and as i recall it was also very good . I am sure i will return there the next time i am in town.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great appetizers -- and cheap during happy hour-- washed down with wine and a view of Mt. Hood. Very friendly waitstaff. Piano player; lots of locals and tourists. Fun experience. A definite recommend.

1  Thank NewYorkNYTraveler
Reviewed July 31, 2013

30 floors high - an upscale design with gorgeous Oregon vistas.
Geez, they even validate parking.
I had the tenderloin steak sandwich - 5 stars, a tuna sushi roll - v good, and rice paper spring rolls - 4+stars.
TIP: I don't drink much, had water and my bill was $18.
You can spend more but it isn't necessary. Big quality for small bucks, and the view is free.

Been to Portland City Grill? Share your experiences!