“30 Floors up and lost of sightseeing and people watching”

Portland City Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Portland City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 4,404 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Transit: Public transportation is available via Max Transit system and Tri-Met.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I would rate them as the second best steakhouse in all of portland with a first place for a view. Prepare to pay a hefty price. Arrive 20 min. before they open if you want a bar seat. If you eat in the restaurant, reservations would be a good idea.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The view is worth the trip IF you can get a table. The happy hour menu is less than the regular menu but still way overpriced for the portions of food actually on the somewhat odd shaped plates and/or bowls. The salmon piece in the sesame salmon over noodles bowl was about 2 inches long by maybe 4 inches. Way overpriced for the amount of food.

1  Thank NWGAL61
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Eight of us made it the Portland City Grill just a few minutes after 4PM, (their opening time), and the place was already somewhat busy with no seats by the windows. We pushed a few round tables together and we could still see downtown Portland. The view is really very nice.

The restaurant IS busy and it IS noisy, but our service was very good with appetizers coming out of the kitchen very quickly and the appetizers were tasty. We had drinks and waited for it to get darker and I must admit that I truly enjoyed their habenero infused Margarita! Very tasty and warming!

We did make a "deal" with some people by a window seat to give us the high sign when they were ready to leave and we were able to then get a seat by a window. we ordered dinner and I had the steak burger and I must admit that there was some meat on that bun somewhere, but it was pretty small. I did taste their clam chowder which was very tasty and I would recommend it. My wife had a chicken dish which she didn't care much for.

We enjoyed our visit and again thought the service was very good and the speed at which food came out of the kitchen was also very good. A prior reviewer must have been there on an off night.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A group of 8 of us went for a birthday celebration. It was crowded and noisy. The dinner 'process' took forever - we saw the server only once every 30-45 minutes. It was ridiculously expensive! There's no way their food is so special that it should cost 2-3 times as much as other places. In fact, the food was only 'Ok'. My filet mignon was the size of a 50 cent piece and my boyfriend's rib eye was full of grissle. The total bill for all 8 of us was approaching a thousand dollars, including the 18% tip. For what??? Yes the views are nice but not worth the extra cost. Save yourself a few bucks and skip Portland City Grill - There are plenty of places to get a good, reasonably priced steak (and maybe even a nice view) in the Portland area.

1  Thank EJP_123
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The view from the 30th floor of this venue is amazing and will not disappoint. The view is worth the price of the happy hour food and drinks which surprisingly are quite reasonable during happy hour. If you want a good seat during happy hour, you will need to get there when it opens which i believe is 4:00 p.m. everyday, or you will have to seat where you can and scope out a table with a view when others leave. We just asked a couple can we share their table with a view since it didn't appear that anyone else was joining them. They were very nice and we have a good time talking with them. My husband and I had already eaten in the formal restaurant because it was a special occasion so we didn't order any appetizers from the bar area after we had dinner. We went to that area to continue the lovely view after dinner and to have drinks from the happy hour specials. The drinks were good and reasonable. The appetizers were priced reasonable and the other couple had several of them which they said were good and they looked good. The bad news is that our dinner in the formal restaurant was quite disappointing. My steak was not prepared as ordered and it was not tasty and my husband's salmon was just average. I did replace my steak dinner with just a specialty type salad which was good but not very filling (not a large portion). The dinner prices were steep so we expected so much more. We do plan to go back and will try the dinner one more time because when we spoke to the manager, we were treated very nicely and they offered to make it right. That helped alot and we appreciated their efforts to show concern and respond very professionally. They assured us that when we return for dinner again that we would be pleased with our meal. I look forward to trying dinner again because the restaurant is very nice, service is good, and the view is amazing in the restaurant and the bar/happy hour area. One thing to note if you plan to get there when happy hour starts, it seems that people get there a bit earlier and are standing around to be first to enter when happy hour starts to get the best seats. It's crowded too and we were there on a Sunday afternoon. It seemed that everyone in the bar area were having a good time with their respective groups/friends and the couples were enjoying each other and the view as well. It wasn't stuffy but the waitresses did push the drinks and appetizers though. Understanding, though, since the view is great and many people seem to want to enjoy it. We stayed awhile and didn't feel rushed as long as we had drinks and appetizers at some point. Bottomline, if you want to get the best bang for your buck, skip the restaurant, go to the happy hour and order appetizers and drinks there.

Been to Portland City Grill? Share your experiences!