“A stalwart and famous for steaks in N. America”
Review of Ringside Grill - CLOSED

Ringside Grill
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 140th
Transit: Served by 25-Glisan/Rockwood Stop ID 2047 NE Glisan & 141st in Portland Westbound Stop is in Fare Zone 3 - OR - Stop ID 2048 NE Glisan & 141st in Portland Eastbound Stop is in Fare Zone 3
Description: For more than 6 decades we have be offering guests the best steaks in town, providing impeccable service with an unmatched wine list with continuous family ownership, RingSide is Portland's favorite Steakhouse! The Eastside restaurant features great steaks and a wide range of entree options in a more relaxed country club-like atmosphere only 10 minutes from the airport. Start with RingSide's world famous onion rings; a recipe that is a closely held family secret. Select a steak from a menu offering USDA Prime & Certified Angus Beef NW Natural beef. Steaks are cooked to perfection. Choose a wine from more than 700 labels. WINE SPECTATOR has recognized RingSide Steakhouse yearly with its BEST OF AWARD OF EXCELLENCE SINCE 2001. RingSide is a prime example of a award winning steakhouse; AMERICA'S TOP TEN STEAKHOUSE HALL OF FAME; GREAT STEAK HOUSES OF NORTH AMERICA; WINE SPECTATOR'S BEST OF AWARD OF EXCELLENCE AND THE DiRoNA AWARD.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

In Portland for a brief stay and visiting relatives, I offered to take them to dinner in return for a bed.

Having lived in the Portland area for a number of years but longer ago than I care to remember, I was familiar with the paternal Ringside on W. Burnside. And I was reminded of them on my flight from Frankfurt in an ad for Great American Steakhouses in the flight magazine. Not being able to access a prime rib dinner in Cairo, my mouth immediately started watering when I saw the advertisement.

But being on the south east side of Portland, I was happy to be reminded that Ringside had a restaurant on 140th and Glisan. We made reservations for a Friday night and when the appointed date and time arrived, we took off. Traffic was somewhat heavy and when it became clear that we were going to be a few minutes late, I called the restaurant to inform them. "No problem, we'll just move your reservation back fifteen minutes." I was assured I would not be shot on arrival.

Arriving, we found a huge parking lot and heard lots of outside chatter as we walked up to the front door. Nice big building and well appointed. The bar and outside dining looked spacious and well visited. We chose to dine inside.

After being seated, beverage orders were taken and we ordered a side of onion rings. There were three of us and the waiter advised us that a small order was more than sufficient. He was correct. The menu is one page. I recall one choice for poultry wiener schnitzel (odd) and the rest of the menu choices consisted of seafood and beef, plus the usual choices of salads and soups.

My dining partners ordered large butterflied prawns and a hamburger. Not just any hamburger, but a Ringside hamburger! I order the prime rib from the special corner of the menu - soup or salad, an entree and dessert - all for $33.50. And I was not disappointed in the prime rib. The "baked onion soup" was bogus. The menu stated a baked cheese crust. I asked the waiter to assure me that it would not have the funky piece of bread floating on top. After receiving the assurances that it had a crust of cheese (like an official onion soup should have) , I ordered it and got a cup of onion soup with a funky piece of bread floating on top with a barely there coating of cheese. Totally bogus, but unfortunately the norm rather than the exception as I travel the world. Maybe in retirement I'll start a chef's school focusing on one food item: real onion soup. And I'll bring in the true onion soup connoisseur from the Sheraton Abha in Saudi Arabia to teach them.

But I survived. The meal for three came to $110 with one alcoholic drink and tip - very reasonable! The waitstaff were pleasant and efficient. I recommend the Ringside East for a pleasant dining experience.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

There is a stately formality about this place. The menu, the servers, the style exudes a confident air of being an establishment that knows what it does well, is straight forward and time tested. It feels like the staples on this menu haven't changed much in 50 years and there is comfort in a steak house that makes no bones about following a perfected formula for enhancing the guest experience.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you want to set and wait while your waiter goes out for a smoke then this is your place. Was seated and the slow service stared, not to bad but then after the main course Paul leaves to go for a smoke. We where done eating and waited for 15 min. when he did show back up you could smell the smoke. Not sure why you would train your staff to go for a a smoke break while the customer waits. The best part is there a lot of other good restaurant to go to. This one is off my list. You have to think are the other 2 Ringside restaurants training their staff the same.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Atmosphere is very pleasant, server was "on it" and was pleasant (he said he worked there for 19 years). The prime rib was cooked to perfection and the shredded horseradish was divine. The garlic mashed potatoes were plentiful and tasty. The lamb chops were amazing, again, cooked to perfection. We topped it off with the creme brulee, a perfect sweet treat to end an amazing meal.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had never visited this restaurant before. We had purchased a restaurant.com certificate for this restaurant and, as a family on a tight budget, decided to use it for our anniversary dinner to help save on our expensive meal. We arrived and were asked if we had a reservation. There was a bit of a hesitation on the part of the hostess when we said we didn't (Maybe we should have?). She told us we'd have to be seated at a "table" then. Okay.

The restaurant was warm and inviting. The table was clean and well-presented. Our server arrived promptly to our table and I was thrilled to find my favorite wine (14 Hands Merlot) on their wine list. Our food arrived in just the right amount of time and was cooked to perfection. My filet mignon was soft as butter. Totally drool worthy. When we mentioned it was our anniversary, our server gave us the choice of anything off the dessert menu compliments of the restaurant. We chose the peanut butter torte with salted caramel sauce and it was DIVINE!

Even with the restaurant.com certificate, we spent more than we usually do on an anniversary meal, but it was worth it. We hope to return on another special occasion. The food was excellent, our server was friendly and attentive, and we enjoyed our quiet, romantic meal.