“Great Local Mexican Restaurant”
Review of La Costita

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Costita
Ranked #2,687 of 4,475 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is my favorite Mexican restaurant in the East Portland area. It is somewhat out of the way, out SE Powell Avenue to about 160th, in a little shopping area near to a Bi-Mart. The food is better than average, the restaurant clean and comfortable, eat in the bar to watch a football game, or in the main well decorated dining room. The prices are reasonable, the staff nice, the drinks good, and the food is very good. The food seems to be better here than at the other El Costita restaurant on Sunnyside Avenue in Happy Valley.

1  Thank Ohiopyle

Reviewed April 3, 2009

My husband and I were in the mood for mexican food last night but didn't know where to go that was near us to we took a gamble on this place thinking how hard is it to do mexican food (and not traditional, i'm talking beans and rice american style mexican food)...I was soooooo wrong. I had the Burrito Costeno ($10)--it was disgusting. It tasted like chicken boiled in chicken broth, tossed in a flour tortilla with bean and rice (which it hadn't indicated were IN the burrito). My husband got the Fundito especial ($14), which was not terrible. It was quite soggy though. We also had margaritas, traditional on the rocks--they were watery and mostly ice. Then I decided to get the fried ice cream (one of my favorites). It was obvious that that had made the fried ice cream previously and then refroze it to thaw out as it was ordered. It was soggy and chewy.

Overall, the food was terrible and I've had better mexican from taco del mar. It was also overpriced for what was given.

I will say that our server and service was fantastic. They just need to revamp the menu and hire a new cook.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Food is great & so are the people

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We have watched the steady decline of La Casita for the past 11 years. Today, we had our last meal there. The service, food quality, margaritas and management have finally become so bad that we have to move on.

La Casita was our favorite Mexican restaurant long before it’s new strip-mall location. La Casta once was a stand-alone restaurant that sat right on the corner. The food was great, service was good (most of the time) and they would have an outdoor Cinco-de Mayo party in the parking lot.

We were disappointed when the building was demolished, then pleased when we learned they would re-open as La Casita in the new strip mall at the same corner (their current location).

Because of the location, we dine there frequently; on average, between lunch and dinner we are in there 5-6 times a month. After re-opening, we would get a bad meal about once every month or so. Reasoning with the management (Juan) was a crapshoot; sometimes he would understand, other times, we would not receive so much as an apology.

More recently, we consider ourselves fortunate if the meal (or drinks) are good more than one quarter of the time. We have been served raw chicken, over cooked carne asada, and the wrong meal all together. We have waited over an hour for a meal to be served cold.

Today’s last straw was being over-charged for a lunch (again). When we spoke to Juan, he chose to argue over $3 rather than listen to what we had to say. Even after acknowledging that we dine there 2 times a week! I cannot support a restaurant that mistreats its regulars.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook