“Skip this place”

Dan and Louis Oyster Bar
Ranked #347 of 4,588 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Took about ten minutes for the waitress to greet us, problems in kitchen meant the appetizers took forever to get out. Server was really not on her game, I was brought the wrong drink, she kept forgetting my boyfriends soda refill. My potatoes were cold when they came out, the cajun po'boy wasn't on a hoagie roll. Food was okay, nothing amazing.
Won't be going back.

Go next door to Berbattis, the gyros are awesome and don't take an hour to come out of the kitchen.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I ate here for lunch and the seafood was really good. I enjoyed the fresh raw oyters. The halibut and chips were very good. Service was quick and friendly. I agree with other reviewers about the atomosphere. It was a little dated. The price was a little on the high side but definitely a much better choice than the chain restuarants.

1  Thank jeffbl88
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I know D&L's reputation has dropped over the years, with some good reason -- the regular menu is, boring, commercial, almost chain-like. But I've eaten there often and enjoy myself every time; I think the secret is to eat at the bar, stick with the oysters, and relax.

I'm a raw oyster freak, and have never had a bad one here. The folks at the bar are friendly, knowledgeable and fun. If you like fresh oysters, some good conversation about them and nice people, go to D&L's. Also, the music's just what I like to hear.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was our first time to Dan and Louis and I'm sorry to say this place was a disappointment. First of all, it was cold in the "main" dining room (we found out later that the heat wasn't working and hasn't been working for awhile), second we had to go looking for a waitress to take our order even though the place was nearly empty, third we were asked if we wanted to have some bread and when it came, we were each given one piece of bread on a plate with a cube of butter. Really? One piece of bread? When dinner came, the mashed potatoes were warm, not hot and half of it was inedible because of the pickled cucumber and onion vegetable side that they placed directly on the plate with the entree and starch. If you are going to serve a pickled side dish instead of a fresh vegetable, at least put it in a small bowl so the vinegar brine doesn't get into the rest of the food.

The old time ship decor needs to be updated, the decorative plates on the wall need to be cleaned and while our waitress was nice, she needs to be taught how to wait tables. We heard her apologize to every table she had numerous times for some problem or other.

On the plus side, the chowder was tasty and served with real oyster crackers and my husband's salmon was cooked perfectly.

With all the fabulous restaurants in downtown Portland, Dan and Louis is going to have to up their game on every level if they want to stay in business for another 100 years.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

After some Voodoo Doughnuts, this placed looked really inviting for the exterior. The inside is awesome as well. The food was very flavorful. However! The service was slow, even though it was early and the restaurant was nearly empty. The portions were small as well. The sandwiches we got were nearly half the size that I would expect from any restaurant. And the presentation was lacking to say the least. If we hadn't eaten before hand, we wouldn't have left full.