“Two TINY pieces of fish!”

Dan and Louis Oyster Bar
Ranked #263 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We love our long-ago memories of Dan & Louis ("Dan & Louie's"), & were excited to go back. So much has NOT changed, we were happy to see. But my meal, the fried cod (I.e., fish & chips) was a giant disappointment. Two TINY pieces of fish. That's all. The server said the "half portion" portion that I'd ordered was 3 oz. Well, maybe it was (two pieces? 1"-2" in diameter?)--But, that's not a meal! And it would have cost me $6 more to get two more tiny pieces of fish! That's not a meal. My husband said his oyster stew was the same as it was 25 years ago, and he loved it, so that part was good.
We have fond memories of Portland's Old Town (it was seedy back when; it's seedy still today), and I'm pretty sure we will go back to D&L. Next time I'll have the cioppino -- and pay for the "extra portion". Come to think of it, my husband did pay for extra oysters in his stew, and he said that the amount was just right.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Dining here was a wonderful experience for my husband and I. Loved the ambiance; it was like sitting inside a big old ship.

Our server, Leann was extremely friendly and helpful. When we finished our meal, she gave us a little tour and explained the historical aspect of the restaurant.There is a hole covered with clear glass for viewing in the floor behind the bar. There are miles of tunnel below the restaurant/bar. Drunken men were tossed through this hole sliding into the adjoining tunnel where they would exit near the pier, then carried off onto a ship. When they awoke they were out to sea where they were forced to work. Amazing!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I first came to Dan and Louis' in 1952 - I was nine years old. The place hasn't changed at all except for the oyster shucking room that has now been renovated for some other use. The Oyster stew has always been a highlight and I would recommend it as the best anywhere. Service is excellent (Thanks, Leann!). I wouldn't go for the fried food - it's not so good. French fries are fresh and good. Crab and shrimp salads are tops. A big thumbs up to the owners for keeping this classic place, well... classic!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I love oysters and pinot, so every time I visit Portland I try to eat here. Truth be told, some of the food is good but not great, and everything is overpriced, but I love this place -- the oysters are really fresh, the wine list is really good, and I always enjoy the experience.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Good service and nice atmosphere. I don't recommend the food though. They advertise on the menu that you will get oyster(S) and scallops(S) and prawn(S) for $23. If you like getting what you pay for then DON'T Come here. Pay for a lot of seafood and get a pathetic dish with a boat-load of fries to make up the difference...maybe.