“Unique & Exotic Oriental Cuisine” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kapolei, HI
“Unique & Exotic Oriental Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

This slogan, the by-line on their business card, is an apt description of the excellent food you will find at Thien Hong. We were fortunate enough to go with Portland friends who dine here frequently, so they ordered 5 or 6 of their favorite dishes. We were delighted with the "deliciousness" of each and every dish. There are already lots of reviews talking about the salt & pepper squid, and we agree completely! They also do a lovely whole steamed fish, we enjoyed the General Tso's chicken, asparagus chicken (crisp-cooked just perfectly), a pad-thai kind of noodle dish -- all excellent! My favorite, perhaps, was the walnut shrimp. Very unusual, very delicious white sauce over the shrimp, and served over shredded lettuce, so you sort of get the hot & cold thing (candied walnuts are on the side). Unique, I don't believe I've had anything quite like that in an Asian restaurant before. Service was prompt, efficient. The owner is strolling the floor, I always like to see that someone's in touch with their operation and their customers. Overall, a really wonderful meal, and we took enough little boxes home to enjoy it all again the next day. We have already recommended this restaurant to all our Portland relatives -- and we will be going back again on one of our next visits here. Give it a try, I believe you won't be disappointed!

• Visited May 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Mostly Good Food, horrendous PR”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

The food here is usually good, although I once got food poisoning from their duck, and when I subsequently complained, it was shrugged off without so much as an apology.
The finial insult came when I complained that a rib dish was 98% fat, inedible, and wanted it removed from my bill. They did not, but after I insisted, the offending dish was finally removed. But then, as I left, the owner out front started screaming at me like a lunatic, yelling that the meat had cost him $4.50 a pound, that he lost money on my meal, and that I should never order that dish again! When I tried to explain the problem from my point of view, he merely continued his rant without listening at all.
It should be noted that in the long period of eating at this place, I had never returned a dish.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sinbad2614
Helena, MT
“We always stop here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

On the way to the airport or the Dalles taking Sandy Blvd is a good bet. We are from out of state and have a taste for real Asian food. As a Vietnam Vet I always look for good Vietnamese places, which we just don't have in the sticks.

This place fills the bill and is quality food. We have been back many times.

• Visited December 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Awesome Vietnamese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This Vietnamese restaurant is really good when it comes to preparing squid. Both calamari and salt & pepper squid is delicious. They must have some kind of secret spice or something. The squid is so crunchy and tasty. Even it's a little bit pricy, I'd love to come and have those dishes again.

• Visited July 2012
Vancouver, Washington, United States
“Great Pepper Salted Squid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The food here is very delicious especially the Pepper Salted Squid. It's a little pricey, but service is good.

Visited March 2013

Been to Thien Hong? Share your experiences!