“Good Choice for Business Dinner - Seafood”

Jake's Famous Crawfish
Reserve with OpenTable
Jake's Famous Crawfish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 4,479 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Stark
Transit: Light Rail: Stops @SW 10th ave/Galleria. Walk 2 blocks up to 12th Ave, take a right and come 3 blocks down to SW Stark St. Trolly: Heading North; Trolly stops at 10th Ave & SW Stark St, walk 2 blocks up Stark Street. Heading South; Trolly stops at 11th Ave and Washington, walk 1 block up to 12th Ave turn right and come 1 block down Stark St.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

A fun place to go with clients and associates for a lively dinner. Lots of choices for good seafood and the appetizers are great too. Not the cheapest place and it can be a little noisy so not really a place to take your family for dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Although Jake's was recommended by locals, I knew it would be a bad experience as soon as I walked in. Outdated and unappealing decor, it looked like a set for a spaghetti western. The music was equally outdated and uninspired. The halibut cheeks were tasteless. The asparagus was overcooked. The service was excellent, but I'd never return. I really don't get what the fuss is all about.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

From the moment you enter Jake's, you will feel transported into a time gone by, warm, inviting and timeless. The menu focus is on fish and seafood, fresh ingredients with simple preparations and flavors! I ordered a Mojito and friends ordered a bottle of Acrobat Pinot Gris, which I switched to later (Both Excellent)! To start, our foursome had a sampling of Goose Point Oysters, fresh and delicate with an accompaniment of classic sauces and the Jake's Clam Chowder was fragrant and satisfying! Our entrees ran the gamut from Twin Lobster Tails, Crab and Shrimp Stuffed Salmon and Halibut and Fresh Sturgeon, the featured fish of the day. All were simply prepared and well executed. Our server was polished, knowledgeable and attentive. We shared the Banana Cream Pie, which was delightful, yet sinful! All in all a very nice experience. If there were one thing that I would change, would be the tray of desserts that is brought to the table. They are of the fake kind and definitely do not entice you to order dessert! I would prefer just a menu with some tempting descriptions, or simply recommendations from the server.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

There are probably other good restaurants in the neighborhood, but I like this one. The restaurant itself is a Portland landmark since 1892. I could feel the history.

Steelhead: you can find it here. Mine was served with a cream sauce and popcorn shrimp. The steelhead was cooked to perfection; the sauce was delicious, even the shrimp. I ordered the baked brie appetizer for desert, but it was just an ordinary industrial cheese wrapped in filo dough, apple chutney on the side, heavy on the vinegar.

I asked the waitress if they were open for breakfast, but she replied, No, I would have to wait for lunch.

Lunch, the next day, consisted of oyster stew followed by crawfish étouffée. The crawfish were nice and spicy, a very good lunch.

Always hungry in the evening, I returned for dinner. This time I was disappointed in the steelhead with horse radish sauce, which I thought to be undercooked. The waitress scooped up the plate, disappeared into the kitchen and returned a few minutes later with a more than satisfactory plate.

When I went to pay the bill though, the manager arrived at the table to let me know that there would be no charge.

I returned the next evening for more oyster stew and a Grilled Oregon Sturgeon in beurre blanc sauce.

If I had stayed in Portland longer, I would have returned for more.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

It was totally not surprising that Jake's Famous Crawfish is part of the McKormick and Schmick's empire of restaurants. In fact, I commented before I knew that the ambience and menu selection resembled McKormick and Kuleto's on Ghiradelli Sq. in San Francisco.

On a Saturday night at 7:30pm, we managed to not have to wait and scored a table
smack dab in the middle of the boisterous bar. Not for everyone, however, we simply wanted to eat some tasty seafood. And we were not disappointed, the main proteins listed below were both cooked perfectly, served hot out of the kitchen and quite tasty.

Rockfish Lafitte Newport, Oregon
Pan Seared with Sautéed Dungeness Crab Meat, Rum and Garlic...........24.99
Wild Alaskan True Cod
Pan Seared with Dungeness Crab, Bay Shrimp and Dill Beurre Blanc.....28.99

The plates were literally the white plates w/ a thin inner circle
that I remember seeing in classy restaurants in the early 60's.
Although we ate in the bar,the waiters in their whites and back bow ties
were reminiscent of the "hay-days" of the last century.
Jake's brimming with classic old world dining ambience.

I cannot fault the seafood itself, it was timelessly tasty
otherwise, however, the plate shows little flair -- a dollop of mash
some crunchy asparagus - vegetable of the season, and
some very superfluous grated carrot on top-- totally unnecessary.
Of course, the proverbial lemon wedge and sprig of parsley.

Quite frankly, for what is served it's not under portioned but actually,
when one thinks about it in context,it is a truly expensive plate for what almost $30 will buy in a good Portland restaurant. In fact, March is Portland Dining Month and over 90 restaurants offer 3-course dinners for $29.

When one thinks of these March dining-out options -- $25+ for one plate of food (and their were $30-40 mains on the menu) Jake's is likely raking in the ca$h.

Jake's is a fun place to go and for what it is, it does very well.
So, with properly set expectations, enjoy a step back in time at a classic seafood eatery.