“Why do good restaurants serve lukewarm soup?”
Review of Southpark Seafood

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW 9th Ave
Transit: Pioneer Court House Square (from yellow/green/blue/red lines)
Description: A chic Northwest eatery featuring sustainable seafood and farm-fresh ingredients. With the area’s largest selection of oysters, a menu that changes every single day and an innovative thirteen-seat raw bar, you won’t find a better place for a dozen on the half shell. As a proud partner of the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch® program, Southpark Seafood only serves seafood that has been fished or farmed in ways that minimize their environmental impact. For 20 years, this definitive Portland restaurant has been helping to shape the city’s dining scene into what it is today. Located in the heart of downtown, this iconic Portland restaurant is the perfect spot for lunch, dinner, large groups or just to kick back and relax.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

South Park is, overall, a good restaurant. Service is excellent and the food well presented and flavorful. It is a bit pricey. What I fail to understand is why a good restaurant cannot serve hot soup. It suggests either 1) the kitchen does not care, or 2) that food sits on the counter too long. Often during our two weeks in Ireland, we had soup for at least one meal. It always needed to cool which also means it can be sipped slowly and enjoyed. Even after sending my soup back the night of our dinner, it barely was hot enough. Fortunately, the carrot soup was quite flavorful. I am resolved that the next time I get soup that is not hot, I will simply cancel that order.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our group of 6 tried Southpark at the suggestion of the concierge at our hotel. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was quite good. Unfortunately, the food was a big disappointment. The oysters were hit and miss, and most were on the small side. The genuine shaved horseradish was a nice touch. I ordered the grilled fish of the day, and it was lukewarm at best. The bed of farm fresh veggies served with the fish were cold. My wife's seafood stew was also lukewarm, had very little flavor and other than two large shrimp contained almost no seafood. One of our friends said their salad was good, and another's clams were very good. But, the other two guests were very unimpressed with their meals. Portions were also small. This was the most expensive meal we ate during our 3 day trip to Portland, yet it was also the worst.

1  Thank BigBamboo2011
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I come here for dinner almost every time I see a show at Arlene Schnitzer Auditorium. It is a beautiful, two-level dining room with lots of big windows. Consistently good service. Solid menu with an emphasis on local purveyors.

The most mouthwatering foccacia served with the meal. Usually four different sources of raw oysters. Sensible preparation of American food standards. The most approachable wine menu I have ever seen anywhere. Excellent coffee and espresso.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I shared dinner with two friends at South Park and we had a decidedly inconsistent meal.

South Park is conveniently located in the "South Park blocks" of downtown Portland and is only a block away from the Schnitzer Auditorium , the Performing Arts center, and a large cinema complex which makes it a popular choice for a meal before/after a concert or play. The large open space can be lively without being overly noisy.

We started with a dozen fresh oysters which were fresh, briny and delicious. I chose the roast duck breast which was good, another friend enjoyed her 'cioppino" style fish soup, but the last person was served an absolutely cold plate of grilled black cod. Unfortunately, my friend was quite hungry and did not mention this to either us or the waitress until the meal was nearly over.

I have eaten at South Park many times and this seems to be the pattern: Some good, some bad. So if you choose wisely, you may have an outstanding meal. If you are unlucky, you will leave feeling unsatisfied.

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch after seeming on Portland app that this place was buzz worthy. I had fish and chips, husband had rockfish special (fish of the day). Neither entrees were adequately seasoned and there is no salt on the tables here. We aren't salt people but it was very bland and needed something more. That alone would not have been so marginal but both of our entrees were dripping in grease. You expect some of that with dish and chips, the fish had a very heavy batter that was dripping in grease. Fries were limp and greasy too. Spouse had the fish special and it was not deep fried but way greasy and under seasoned. I would not go back here.

1  Thank matteroffactgirl

Been to Southpark Seafood? Share your experiences!