“Great place to learn basic kayak skills”

Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having been on kayak camping trips many times, I felt I probably lacked the technical skills that might make this mode of camping/travel easier. I took a 4 hour basic skills class and learned so very much. Our young instructor, Malloy, was encouraging and patient and made all of our small group feel really good about the experience. I would recommend this class to anyone who is either just starting out on kayaking or who has never had a formal class. Pick a nice hot day in August when the water temperature in the Columbia is in the 60's (you're gonna get wet), bring a change of clothes for afterwards, change in the store restroom at end of class, and don't forget the sunscreen. Alder Creek also teaches more advanced classes, but the basic was just where I needed to be.

1  Thank dumoyer2

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Tualatin location to try to rent SUP boards because the website advertises them. They don't carry them there, so we said we would take a kayak or canoe. They were very disorganized and instead of serving people as they arrived and setting them up with the next boat, they sent people to the dock to figure it out themselves and then come back when they saw a boat come in. 3-4 families were waiting for boats while 2 were sitting there unused. Totally inefficient. I would suggest they have people fill out paperwork and fit life jackets while they wait on a list and then they can assign boats as available.

3  Thank krally
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Standup Paddle Boarding was on my Buck-List, and I can officially check it off! A group of friends took the Alder Creek intro to paddle boarding class last weekend, and it was over the top amazing!! I loved it so much, I can't wait to get back out on the water!!

Our instructor Chelsea was patient, informative, safety conscious and very encouraging. I learned a lot, and I have a new activity that I love. The best part about the lessons was that all four of my group fell in love with paddle boarding!!!

1  Thank J Kimberly W