“North America needs more of these”

Common Ground Wellness Co-operative
Ranked #10 of 50 Spas & Wellness in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 17, 2013

While visiting Portland recently, my partner and I dropped by Common Ground after hearing (on a social network) a positive reference from a trans* friend. When we arrived, I was pleased to find that the staff had a thoughtful, intentional, and well-executed technique of ensuring that the space felt safe for all users. It's unfortunate that many North Americans (men, primarily) don't have a grasp of appropriate behaviour in a clothing-free, gender-orientation-and-race-mixed environment, but I thought that Common Ground's new visitor process was really successful at setting a good tone in a positive way.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if Common Ground had a few extra amenities, like lockers, or a quiet, comfortable room to rest or cool down, but they do occupy a small space and I think they're done a very good job of organising it. I *really* like that the hot pool is outside, yet enclose and distant from the surrounding hubbub.

My partner had a massage, and I joined her afterward in the hot pools. I would have liked to have been able to be flexible about how long I spent, rather than have committed to a completion time, but I can also appreciate how a reservation system helps to ensure that the space isn't overcrowded too. While one can certainly visit Common Ground just a nice soak and/or sauna, is really a more comprehensive wellness facility, and the treatment options are as important as the pools and sauna. If one is inclined to treat it strictly as a recreational activity, one might be slightly disappointed. However, I would highly recommend Common Ground with a desire for a slightly broader experience.

1  Thank bontano

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I love the concept, which is a co-ed clothing optional bath house. There's not a lot of places where you can enjoy a large hot tub and sauna with a spouse or significant other, sans unnecessary bathing suits. The concept is great.....what could improve somewhat is the execution. Specifically, the landscaping around the hot tub left a lot to be desired, tending towards bare concrete. Dress it up a little, add some flowers, color, art pieces, whatever. Lockable lockers (vice just an exposed cubby) in the changing area would be another easy improvement. There's a similar facility in town with an identical concept that does both of those things better.......great concept, just keep working on the execution!

1  Thank crnd