“A Wow!”

Grassa
Ranked #48 of 4,479 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 16, 2014

An amazing Italian "quick stop" restaurant that always seems busy. Authentic fresh pasta being made all day long in an open kitchen combines with phenomenal sauces to produce one of the best inexpensive places I have ever been to. You must try the amazing Pesto and Carbonara!

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Every dish my party of 5 had was enjoyed by all. Interesting and tasty mix of ingredients. Service was good, friendly and relaxed vibe. They offer a house wine or beer. Enjoyed the vinyl and tunes. Restaurant is loud, but didn't bother us. Food comes out fast, not a place to linger, but solid place to get good pasta dishes and salads.

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

I love homemade-tasting pesto, something that's not easy to get in most restaurants, so I usually don't bother. But the pesto offered at Grassa had a regional flair, one made with hazelnuts, so I decided to give it a go. And am I glad! The ingredients were freshingly vibrant (I'm trying to replicate the flavours at home. Now if someone would like to help me out...)

The macaroni and cheese we ordered for the kids was just okay, but at least their prices are very reasonable; most dishes are under $10. With prices like that, it's hard to mind getting your own water.

Lastly, if you have a dog, you could sit outside on the cozy picnic benches. We definitely look forward to returning to Grassa the next time we're in the area. Thanks for the nice vacation memories!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Grassa is a "young" place to eat, and my husband and I average 81. You order and pay near the entrance. Sometimes the music is a bit loud but, if we ask nicely, it will be turned down a notch while we are there. At lunch, we are usually early enough to snag one of the three booths. It is a delight to be able sit and watch the pasta being freshly made while waiting for our order to arrive. But the real draw is the food. We haven't had a dish we didn't like. Our favorite pasta is strozzapreti. The original was with capers, olives, fresh tomatoes, and tiny anchovies criss-crossing the top, but lately it is made with squid ink. Delightful new combinations are a pappardelle Greek version with gyro, and a Moroccan chicken. The side dishes at $5 are outstanding, too - unusual seasonings and preparation of beets, cauliflower, beans, squash, etc. all very fresh and in season. We eat there often, and haven't "burned out" yet. Yum. And everybody we've sent there agrees, too.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Great fresh pasta (you can watch them making it, for pete's sake) with great toppings that are not overcomplicated. The inclusion of whipped ricotta cheese in a pasta with peas, herbs, and pancetta really made it special. The arugula salad was great too. This is a not too time-consuming and well-priced lunch option. Bravo!

1  Thank HappyMunching