“Love this place.”
Review of Oba Restaurant

Oba Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Oba Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NW Hoyt
Description: Located in the heart of the Pearl District, Oba! Restaurant is known for its festive atmosphere, refreshing cocktails and vibrant, award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine.Oba! Restaurante opened in Portland, Oregon in October 1997 by owner Steve McLain. Executive Chef Luis Contrera's innovative cuisine, explores vibrant flavors from Spain, Portugal, the Caribbean and across the Americas. Oba!'s menu is where bold latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. Creating a festive, friendly setting in which guests feel welcome and nurtured is Oba!'s ultimate goal. Oba!'s inventive cuisine, stunning design, hand-crafted cocktails and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.
Boise, Idaho
“Love this place.”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The best part of going to Oba is ordering a bunch of appetizers. I've been there around 5 times, and still continue to direct my attention to those plates instead of the main courses. It makes it more fun (and cheaper) to try a bunch of things, instead of just one. Great atmosphere as well.

• Visited June 2013

Beaverton, Oregon, United States
“disappointment”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went to Oba tonight for my husbands birthday. For years this has been our favorite special occasion restaurant, but tonight it really disappointed on the food. The service was Ok but the waitress really pushed the macadamia crusted swordfish to me, so I ordered it. it had no taste or crunch of nuts, but instead a mushy crust that was flavorless, and a very mushy taste. it came with tasteless white rice and an few sun dried type tomatoes. everything was the same taste and texture, which was mushy, sameness. The manager came over and refilled out wine glasses, and when I asked if he was the manager, he said yes, and then walked away! No how are you, or where are you from etc.....we ordered a bottle of chef recommended wine and they were out of that, so had to buy one at twice the price.....the waitress said they had 3 bottles or the wine total at the start of the dinner, which seems a very inadequate amount on a busy holiday Saturday night! Very short sited, or meant to drive you to order a more expensive bottle! which we did by default!

• Visited December 2013
Big Sky, Montana
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Met some friends here recently, as it was recommended by my sister who lives in Portland. Great place for conversation, drinks and yummy food. We sat in the bar area, which is large but cozy. We ordered about six different appetizers, all were delicious, and the regular menu looked just as good. Great drinks, too. Happy hour here is the best deal, but we were a little late for that. Also a great place to walk around in the Pearl District. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013
Sterling, Colorado
“Exquisito”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We took a romantic getaway to Portland, and I struggled to select a restaurant based on all the positive reviews for many restaurants. I preferred a Pacific Northwest cuisine, but I was open to anything. I finally bit the bullet and made a reservation at Oba. We are so glad that I did. The food was spectacular. We had a seared tuna starter. It was melt in your mouth tuna with mango. The wine we selected (based on the chef's recommendation) was from a local Oregon winery called Abacela. The wine was a white 2012 Albarino (which was just featured in Sunset Magazine). Our second course was a macadamian nut crusted snapper on a bed of coconut rice topped with a pesto cream and accompanied by lightly smoked tomatoes. The amalgamation in your mouth was complete perfection. The tomatoes had an adobe flavor that was divine - perfect combination of adobo flavor, acid, and a sweetness that can only come from garden fresh tomatoes. The pesto had a light hand too - no hit you in the face with basil - it was fresh and light but extremely flavorful. And the fish, oh the fish! It was perfectly cooked, flaky, juicy, and clearly fresh. The crust, the fish, all paired with a small bit of rice, pesto, and tomatoes was the perfect bite. I could eat that for every meal for the rest of my life and die a happy woman! I thought I was too full for dessert because I ate every bite of that fish, but I couldn't pass up the banana cream filled doughnuts topped with a touch of caramel sauce. The three small doughnuts were freshly made and still warm. They were light and fluffy and filled with banana cream that was silky smooth and tropical. The doughnuts combined with the warm caramel were divine. The only problem? I needed about six more! Mmmmm.... I don't know when I will get back to the Northwest, but it may be sooner than later because I need to go back to Oba!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank jilllodosterling
Issaquah, Washington
“Rewarding Experience in the Pearl”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We enjoyed a nice meal at Oba with our friends that live in the Pearl. The atmosphere is modern and upscale with white table clothes, while at the same time warm and friendly. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable. I had the paella with lots of chorizo, seafood and chicken. It really filled me up. My wife had the Prime Rib and truly enjoyed it. Our friends say the Happy Hour is also a good value in the large bar adjacent to the dining room.

• Visited October 2013