“Best steak ever!”
Review of Oba Restaurant - CLOSED

Oba Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NW Hoyt
Description: Located in the heart of the Pearl District, Oba! Restaurant is known for its festive atmosphere, refreshing cocktails and vibrant, award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine.Oba! Restaurante opened in Portland, Oregon in October 1997 by owner Steve McLain. Executive Chef Luis Contrera's innovative cuisine, explores vibrant flavors from Spain, Portugal, the Caribbean and across the Americas. Oba!'s menu is where bold latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. Creating a festive, friendly setting in which guests feel welcome and nurtured is Oba!'s ultimate goal. Oba!'s inventive cuisine, stunning design, hand-crafted cocktails and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We visited Oba with our daughter and husband for my husband's birthday. It was the Friday after Valentine's Day and we were glad we had reservations! Our waiter was excellent and knew the menu well. We knew from friends to order the guacamole which is prepared at your table. It was delicious. For entrees, my daughter and I chose petite filets with a blackberry sauce that was one of the specials. It was amazingly tasty and the steak literally melted in your mouth. The guys had prime rib and were also raving about it. The waiter offered my husband a dessert of his choice for his birthday. The rest of us ordered as well. After eating three courses, we were pleasantly full but not stuffed, so kudos to the restaurant on portion sizes. It is expensive, so not your every day dining, but for a special occasion in Portland was memorable. We will be back.....and I have raved to all my friends about it!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Popular for tappas/ Has some parking near to Pearl District so walk to art and funky shops. Shrimp and seafooddishes are good.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The restaurant is beautiful, and its location in the Pearl District makes for an enjoyable stroll from wherever you find a parking spot. The food and drinks were top-notch. I had the Enchiladas de Calabaza: roasted butternut squash enchiladas with creamy toasted walnut sauce & quinoa salad. Yum! We made reservations since it was a Saturday night--usually a good idea since the place is popular. Oba was hoppin' but service was excellent and the ambiance was enjoyable--not too noisy and everyone seemed happy to be there. Definitely will be going back!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been a long-time customer of Oba, even hosting my wife's 39th birthday in the bar area. I've had just drinks, tapas; as well as full dinner service.

Service: Top notch, waitstaff knows the food and cocktail menus very well. Always friendly and welcoming. Food is cooked to order and delivered in expected time. Confident with suggestions; knowledge of ingredients and process.

Food: A plethora of Latin flavors; Cuban, Mexican, Southwest, flavor forward, always well prepared presentation, good timing between courses.

Try happy hour.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I ate here awhile back and absolutely loved everything about Oba! The atmosphere, service, and food were GREAT! I purchased a Groupon awhile back and plan on using it in the next couple of weeks. It was recommended by numerous friends living in Portland and by my daughter and her friends also. They have a super happy hour menu too!