“Our first visit: good for food, not for conversation”

Elmer's Restaurant - Mall 205
Ranked #338 of 4,588 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A Northwest favorite since 1960. Our 25 locally owned Elmer's Restaurants take pride in their communities and source local, farm-fresh ingredients.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have been to other Elmer's for over 20 years, but this was our first visit to the one on SE Stark, near Mall 205. Location and parking are excellent. We had fresh strawberry crepes for lunch and were very pleased. The strawberries were sweet, not drowned in a syrup like too many places do. One of our group had a "small" Cobb salad, which was anything but small. Fish & Chips was made with excellent cod. The service, cleanliness and food were super, but there was so much noise coming from a group of 6 adults sitting behind us, we had a great deal of difficulty hearing the couple sitting across from us in a booth.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stopped in this Elmer's for a light brunch, but ended up eating way too much. My daughter, who lives in Portland, told us "this is the cleanest Elmer's in Portland." The menu offers a bunch of breakfast/lunch/dinner items (think Denny's). We settled on a German pancake, a breakfast of eggs/biscuits&gravy/hash browns, and pancakes. Service was a bit slow (this was at 10 am so the morning rush should have been over and the lunch rush not yet started) but the food was worth the wait. Our only regret was that we were so full we had no room for dessert.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We ate at the Elmer's Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner on NE Sandy Blvd in Portland, Ore, and Trip Adviser doesn't seem to have it on their list, so I will post my review at this listing. I had heard of Elmer's and thought it was probably a glorified Dennys. I was way wrong!! We ate in the lounge, as usual, to avoid the bigger crowds and bright lights, and I was first impressed with the ambiance. There was a beautiful fireplace, comfortable seating and of course the little side-room with slot machines. The waitress was very attentive and fast with our drinks. There were several TVs with various sports programs on them but the best thing of all was a huge menu with bright color pictures of the different meals. I was craving something hot with a home-made feel, as it was really cold outside (March winds!) and we had been in Portland for several days. So I decided to have the Pot Roast Dinner. I was blown away! The flavor of the meat was soooo delicious, and the plate, which was really more like a giant bowl, was piled high with REAL mashed potatoes and REAL gravy topped with a ton of tender flavorful roast. The side of greenbeans and carrots could have been a little more tender, but I didn't care. My meal came with homemade cheesy biscuits which were to die for, and there was so much left over, we ate it for lunch the next day. My husband had the reuben sandwich, and it was grilled and thick and juicy! I was really impressed, and I called my mom, who was staying in the hotel next door to Elmers, and told her she had to have the pot roast. She and my stepsister went the next day and were equally impressed. If I have the chance to stay in Portland again, this will be my first stop!! The prices were not too bad considering how much food one receives. And oh, their coffee is AMAZING!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a chain restaurant and like most chains the food is good but not special . It was across the street from my hotel and I just wanted something for breakfast . It was clean , service was nice and the menu was very vast . If you have kids they will have something even for the picky eaters .

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on a very busy day and we were surprised with the fast and courteous service. While the place was full and very busy, the wait staff was courteous and very efficient in providing excellent service in providing us with a good lunch. The clam chowder was very good and the turkey sandwich I had with it was tasty. We got a fair amount of food for a reasonable price. We will definitely go back there again when we are in the area.

Been to Elmer's Restaurant - Mall 205? Share your experiences!