“Best Pot Roast dinner ever!!!”

Elmer's Restaurant - Mall 205
Ranked #372 of 4,313 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A Northwest favorite since 1960. Our 25 locally owned Elmer's Restaurants take pride in their communities and source local, farm-fresh ingredients.
rochester, wa
“Best Pot Roast dinner ever!!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We ate at the Elmer's Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner on NE Sandy Blvd in Portland, Ore, and Trip Adviser doesn't seem to have it on their list, so I will post my review at this listing. I had heard of Elmer's and thought it was probably a glorified Dennys. I was way wrong!! We ate in the lounge, as usual, to avoid the bigger crowds and bright lights, and I was first impressed with the ambiance. There was a beautiful fireplace, comfortable seating and of course the little side-room with slot machines. The waitress was very attentive and fast with our drinks. There were several TVs with various sports programs on them but the best thing of all was a huge menu with bright color pictures of the different meals. I was craving something hot with a home-made feel, as it was really cold outside (March winds!) and we had been in Portland for several days. So I decided to have the Pot Roast Dinner. I was blown away! The flavor of the meat was soooo delicious, and the plate, which was really more like a giant bowl, was piled high with REAL mashed potatoes and REAL gravy topped with a ton of tender flavorful roast. The side of greenbeans and carrots could have been a little more tender, but I didn't care. My meal came with homemade cheesy biscuits which were to die for, and there was so much left over, we ate it for lunch the next day. My husband had the reuben sandwich, and it was grilled and thick and juicy! I was really impressed, and I called my mom, who was staying in the hotel next door to Elmers, and told her she had to have the pot roast. She and my stepsister went the next day and were equally impressed. If I have the chance to stay in Portland again, this will be my first stop!! The prices were not too bad considering how much food one receives. And oh, their coffee is AMAZING!

• Visited March 2013

Eugene, Oregon
“Decent place for a chain”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a chain restaurant and like most chains the food is good but not special . It was across the street from my hotel and I just wanted something for breakfast . It was clean , service was nice and the menu was very vast . If you have kids they will have something even for the picky eaters .

• Visited March 2013
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
“Good Place To Eat”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on a very busy day and we were surprised with the fast and courteous service. While the place was full and very busy, the wait staff was courteous and very efficient in providing excellent service in providing us with a good lunch. The clam chowder was very good and the turkey sandwich I had with it was tasty. We got a fair amount of food for a reasonable price. We will definitely go back there again when we are in the area.

• Visited February 2013
Chisinau, Moldova
“Old Reliable”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have been eating at this Elmer's for more than 10 years -- whenever I visit Portland. It is a part of the Elmer's chain which I think of as an upscale IHOP -- except it is more than that. But they offer the best breakfast menu, outstanding service and a very comfortable venue. Parking is ample. In my mind, it is the old reliable. I have eaten breakfast here often with friends and always found the food to be very good, the service reliably good, and the location just great. We have had family meals with more than 15 people and I have eaten here by myself. The restuarant was fine for all types of occasions. I would recommend a special dish, but there are just too many. I am particularly fond of the three-berry french toast and Elmer's excellent selection of omelets.

• Visited December 2012
Bellevue, Washington
“They handle the crowd”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Don't worry if the parking lot is full. Elmer's attracts lots of repeat customers because they know how to handle a nearly-full restaurant efficiently and with friendly, timely service. The tables were full, but our food came as though we had the place to ourselves Good food, and a cut above the typical road house family restaurant.