“Excellent Japanese food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Came here for dinner on a Friday night. The place was not busy when I went in and ate but by the time I left it was apparent this is a pretty popular place, and for good reason.
The menu has a vast variety of Japanese favorites--ramen, tempura, sushi, shioyaki--it's all there and then some.
I chose to have appetizers and sushi for my dinner, in order to sample more items. The tempura was light, crispy and very fresh. It arrived to my table very hot, right out of the fryer. The tempura dipping sauce was delicious. Dashi (fish broth) nicely balanced with soy sauce and a hint of ginger (a nice touch I always look for in tempura broth). The saba shioyaki (grilled salted mackerel) was cooked nicely, crispy skin, tender fish. It could have used more salt (it tasted unsalted which defeats the purpose of the word shioyaki), but I'd rather be able to add salt rather than have it overly salted. The rainy day sushi roll had a nice balance of flavor, the sushi rice was nicely seasoned and had perfect texture. The nori (seaweed) was fragrant and tasty.
Service was prompt, efficient and friendly.
This was a good find for Japanese food in Portland. I will return here on my next trip to Portland.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

From outside this looks like a bit of a hole in the wall and frankly it's not all that impressive inside either. The food however is fantastic. The sushi is absolutely wonderful here and the noodle dishes are as authentic as Tokyo. I had an udon bowl that I almost inhaled it was so good. Honestly haven't had one this good outside of Japan. The servers are really sweet and friendly.
Not much to look at ( the restaurant -not the servers :) but the food will have me heading there as my first stop next time in Portland.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went in here with friends one night while in Portland on business and craving sushi. Smallish. Not a great physical layout and forgetable decor. But, oh the sushi! We ordered a ton and it was all good. Fresh, moist. Table service was very good and friendly. This isn't a fancy place and it won't impress your date, but it's worth the visit if you're downtown for good sushi.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went there with a friend, and both of us did not have Japanese Ramen for a year. This place was great and did not let us down. The soup was tasty, the noodles were authentic and the atmosphere was good. What is best though is the price. It was considerably cheap for such a restaurant and such great food. Highly recommend for a cheap and awesome meal.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I go here at lunchtime during the week. It has a slow lunch crowd, so not too crowded. Parking is difficult. You will have to park in the street to the rear on the right.

Food is acceptible. Service could be better. Servers are very nice.