Tripadvisor
Portland

“Unique Selection of Donuts ”
Review of Voodoo Doughnut

Voodoo Doughnut
Ranked #7 of 83 Bakeries in Portland
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

We purchased 21 donuts to share with coworkers and the we thoroughly enjoyed the maple bacon bar. Other donuts were the dirt, Portland crime, mango filled to name a few.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (8,012)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

went to Austin Texas ,We end up on 6th Street awesome place great people fabulous food walling down 6th notice several people carring pink boxes what the heck then I see it a block down neon lights Voodoo Doughnuts people coming out carrying pink boxes I've landed got in line which seemed to go on forever I don't care I had to have a pink box up next finally my turn I see all these doughnut never seen anything like there awesome Im from Amarillo Texas hoping they see this maybe they can Voodoo Doughnuts here in Amarillo

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Had the maple bar doughnut and wife had the regular glazed, they were phenomenal. Was suprised they weren't more expensive to be candid. They offered all sorts of crazy combinations and nearly all of them looked delicious! Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

On my brief afternoon tour of Portland (exciting first time for me!), there was no question whatsoever that I needed to make a stop at Voodoo Doughnut. Even after eating more than my fair share of donuts on my trip to the Pacific Northwest, I had to taste the effervescent hype that had taken over PDX for ages. The experience ended up being...well...ambiguous. More below:

—The colorful, hipster storefront is chic but small. Not to complain like someone distant from the enjoyment of “cool” or “hippie” stuff, but it genuinely was small. Having a wheelchair and limited mobility when walking/standing up, I didn’t care too much for the interior. Also, this location does not have seating of any kind. I’m not putting blame anywhere, but if I had done some research ahead of time, I would’ve planned better (my disability wears me out and causes me to have to sit to take breaks). I suppose as one big warning to future visitors: plan to squeeze inside quickly to grab your bites and skedaddle!

—The staff were not overly friendly or inviting, but I applaud them for doing their job. They were quite efficient and professional.

—The food was deeelish! Voodoo Doughnut doesn’t just sell donuts for nothing. They have a cult following for a reason, and I realized why after biting into both the rainbow/sprinkly donut and another one with nuts (something Memphis?). Those two I got were exceptional. Perhaps not at the top of any list of best donuts imo, but a worthy treat when exploring the city.

—Now. Playing out nationally, sadly, are concerns with homelessness, poverty, and affordable housing. Portland is no stranger to these challenges. There was a man outside the entrance who clearly was in desperate need of money, and he was panhandling to customers coming and going. I only intend to state this as an observation, because this was indeed my experience—nothing noteworthy here at all other than a solemn reminder of urban issues in the US.

All in all, I’ll conclude by stating that my overall time at Voodoo Doughnut deserves an average rating. By no means am I opinionated toward Voodoo in a negative light; I’m just balancing the good and not-as-good parts of my time fairly equally. Your sweet tooth will be dazzled here, but with the sacrifice of no seating and just-average service. It’s up to my readers to make their decision!

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

I wasn’t sure what to expect. However, I really liked the vibe of the place. My donuts were really good. I left very satisfied and enjoyed the atmosphere. It’s a must visit.