“Wonderful!”

Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2016

Went here several years ago; gave a 5-star review, went today and the review stands! Have had omelets in many states and in several countries and this is definitely still my favorite. Can be a wait on weekends, but if you can go during the week, the wait is short, if at all. Very, very delicious.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

I have been dining at Café Du Berry for over 20 years and have never been disappointed by the quality of their food, the presentation of their food nor their service. Everything is made from scratch and the food is simply delicious as is the French press coffee. Their sea scallop and mushroom omelet is to die for but this past weekend I decided to order their crab omelet and it too was delicious. Although I am not a big fan of French toast everyone universally states that their French toast is the best in the world and on the few occasions I have tried it I most agree. By far my favorite spot for brunch in the Portland area but their lunch and dinner offering are also quite tasty. Considering the quality of their food I find this to be a very reasonably priced restaurant and plan on dining there for many more years.

Reviewed April 11, 2016

This place is French-Vietnamese influenced.
8 of us came for Sunday brunch. Seated at 10:30 am.
Passing the open kitchen on the way up to our seats I could tell the staff was in the weeds (kitchen lingo for being behind, slammed, etc.) So, I didn't have high expectations for speedy service or quality of food.
We got coffee pretty quick and the order was taken. Nice limited menu and the 3 specials all sounded heavenly and unique. I almost got the sea scallop and morel omelette but went with the ham & cheese omelette. Others got the French Toast(what they're known for) steak and eggs, side bacon, waffles, etc. Mostly safe choices for this group. One person was interested in the shirred eggs, which are eggs lightly cooked in a ramekin then drizzled with a little cream and some delicate herbs, but that was a little too fancified for this group.

It took about 20-25 minutes for the food to come and I knew that it would be long but on a Sunday brunch you've really got to get people fed asap so the service rating in this area suffers a bit. They staff was very attentive on the coffee refilling however.

When the food came it was very hot. That's a plus considering the wait.

And the taste, overall, was pretty darn good. My omelette was chock full of delicately sliced ham and had a nice big mound of melted cheese on top. Was it gruyere, swiss? Whatever it was it was tasty. I only wished there was some nice French jam to have gone with the toast. Unfortunately, the downside here were the hash browns. I'm used to thinly sliced potatoes being tossed on a flat top, lightly browned and seasoned, maybe even some crunchy bits here and there. Their version, from what I saw in the kitchen, appears to be more of a galette or casserole style that gets cut out in a square. It's browned on top/bottom but really is more of a formed patty.

I got to try the French Toast and this was the house specialty for good reason. Whatever they do to this tried and true staple of brunch is nothing short of AMAZING. It doesn't even taste like bread. The best way to describe it is if you like creme brulee or tres leche cake or bavarian custard then you will LOVE this! It's so perfect, in fact, that it doesn't even come with syrup! That's because it has just the right amount of melt in your mouth, creamy sweetness, that it would be a sin to put syrup or butter or adulterate in any way.

The bacon was extra thick and cooked to perfection.
The waffle was light and airy.

And everyone ate everything. Happy tummies all around...

2  Thank J T
Reviewed March 25, 2016

We enjoyed our breakfast here, it was a toss up between three stars and four but just not quite up to a four rating, even though they really make me want to because they were so sweet, it wouldn't be quite honest. We really did enjoy our food. The interior and furnishings are very dated but it's still charming and comfortable. Service was friendly and prompt. Eggs Benedict was WONDERFUL, the hollandaise is amazing and made perfectly right, few places get it this good. The hash browns were sad and mushy, almost like a mashed potato cake, not crispy, I would ask them to cook them longer next time, if there is a next time. My husband enjoyed his bacon and oatmeal, it was good. Another thing that surprised me was the menu, there aren't as many breakfast options to choose from as I'd hoped and there are no croissants, not as French as we thought. More expensive than average. I sat by the window and froze the whole time.

Reviewed March 24, 2016

We went at 10 am with old friends who know the Portland restaurant scene very well.
DO NOT EAT anything before. You are going to get a full plate of great food...and pay attention to the specials. We each had an omelette. The best was with morel mushrooms and sea scallops. They must have harvested eggs, mushrooms, and scallops just before opening. The coffee was fresh, hot, and endlessly supplied. Do you want "cream" - an entire carafe, not little plastic containers. The hash browns are better than anything in the best fire stations. Whole wheat toast comes with bowl of fresh jam.
This place is small and it is run, top to bottom, by the owners. I recommend top for seating, as there is more room on the second floor. This is custom-built cuisine, one order at a time. The service is polite and friendly and one customer at a time. Go elsewhere if you have tight schedule issues.