“So good!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Three of us went there for dinner, but ended up sharing a variety of appetizers. As we ordered the waiter suggested that he bring them out in pairs that complimented one another and his choices were spot on: the Grilled Mexican white prawns marinated in tamarind with baked Oaxacan cheese, mushrooms and chile poblano; the crisp masa cakes filled with chorizo, black beans and chile with a mixed green salad of mango, jicama, pumpkin seeds and avocado vinaigrette; the Enchiladas Suizas De Pollo with Tacos De Puerco, and ending with my favorite, Chile Relleno Con Picadillo. I loved the relaxed atmosphere of an old house converted to a restaurant, but its the food that will bring me back every time.

There are newer reviews for Nuestra Cocina

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I say weird in the best Portland context. I have eaten lots of Mexican food and this was the most amazing. All I recognized was the Margaritas (one of the best) and the Tortillas, the rest was shear creativity from the chief. Combinations of ingredients that I could never imagine. And flavors that were terrific (did I say I liked this place). Very popular so be prepared for a wait. A good Margarita will help. Service excellent.

1  Thank catshephearder
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have gone here on my last two birthdays with friends. First, you will have to wait unless you get there when they open. Second, it is worth the wait, and you can enjoy a cocktail and appetizer on the patio which is small, but you meet fun people that way. The margaritas are excellent…best I have ever had. You could just eat off the appetizer menu as it is that good. I recommend the corn cakes with chorizo. Anything off the dinner menu is excellent ; from the pork and beef dishes to the sea food, it is a fresh twist on Mexican cooking.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Fresh hand made tortillas, freshly muddled creative drinks and the freshest ingredients. Nuestra Cocina folks are the friendliest restaurant in town. Be sure and get in line. Sit down enjoy a fabulous cocktail. This is our favorite restaurant in town.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was my third visit to Nuestra Cocina in as many years. Seating continues to be tight, even at 6 PM on the dot. The restaurant shares the deplorable trend of declining to take reservations (except for LARGE groups), which makes it difficult for seniors, handicapped, and anyone who needs food at specific hours of the day to dine there.

Our group of four did luck into a table at 6 PM, so no problem this Tuesday eve. The menu remains interesting--nothing like a run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant's fare--and diverse, with good choices for vegetarians, meat lovers, and seafood cravers. The special ceviche appetizer--halibut, I think--was only fair, tasting cooked and dressed more than marinated. The main dishes--barbecued lamb and beef tacos were good. Service was not so good. The waiter forgot to place or pick up the appetizer order, so we got it after the main courses were served, hence the "average" rating, which would have been "very good" otherwise. The various margaritas and draft beer were excellent.

The back hallway to the additional dining space needs attention: major spiffing up and painting.

1  Thank GeorgePortland_OR