“Muy Delicioso!”

Dining options: Late Night
Midwesterner
“Muy Delicioso!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Nuestra Cocina is a cool, little place tucked into NE Portland. An acquaintance sent us there as a cool, unique, tasty place to check out and we were not disappointed. Our most recent visit was actually our second time there. A Friday night, prime-time. For a party of two, we were told it would be 30-45 minutes by the friendly hostess. We squeezed our way up to the bar & ordered two of the house margaritas. I highly recommend them! The bartenders are the same two guys who were there last year at our inaugural visit. Both gentleman are friendly, attentive, and super-efficient. The bar area itself is super small and was extremely packed. I felt a little bad for the nearby diners, as the bar patron overflow seemed to intrude on their dining space. We were seated before we ordered our 2nd beverage.

The server-dude was friendly & quick to respond. The handmade tortillas that arrive in place of a bread basket are wonderful. We first ordered the Ceviche and the Grilled Cactus Salad. Fresh & delicious! At the server's recommendation, we both ordered the special that evening which was a delectable and fabulously seasoned carne asada atop drunken beans. The beans were soaked in Modelo Negro beer. Muy Delicioso!

We would definitely return to Nuestra Cocina. Looks like they are re-doing their outdoor seating area - perfect for summertime margaritas & outdoor dining when the weather dries up/warms up!

• Visited January 2013

Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Hand made tortillas and hand crafted cocktails. Always a wait, but it is well worth it. Tacos are to die for, as well as the camarones (shrimp) plates. Service is top notch too!

Visited July 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“Delicious food, great wait staff”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Modera, attached to the restaurant. The restaurant was able to accommodate me and my husband late in the evening when we arrived on our evening flight. Sunday brunch and breakfast are also very good. They have a great outdoor patio with gas campfires...a wonderful place to sit in the evening for a drink.

• Visited October 2012
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Came for dinner here 9/15/12. What a cute neighborhood restaurant! No reservations taken, but an enjoyable wait on the patio. Delicious margaritas, homemade corn tortillas, salsas and amazing guacamole! I ordered the trout special that was prepared with a chorizo stuffing and a pumpkin seed mole sauce. The trout was prepared to perfection! I look forward to going back on a return trip to Portland.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kelleykat
Healdsburg, California
“Worth a Trip”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

You'd think I could find a favorite Mexican restaurant in Northern CA, but I just discovered my favorite place in Portland! I've always said the first thing I look for in a great Mexican restaurant is homemade tortillas. Check. I sat at the cook's bar and watched my corn tortillas being formed, pressed and grilled before my very eyes. They were delicious and even more so when covered with shredded pork, chopped onion and a sprinkle of cheese - I loved the pork tacos. My second requirement is chile rellenos. Check again. I tried the one stuffed with squash and cheese and the flavors were amazing. My third (sometimes it's my first) criteria is delicious margaritas made with fresh lime juice. Double check. Not only are the margaritas perfectly made - or as they say, muddled - they don't cost a fortune. I'm traveling to Portland again next week and I'm going back to Nuestra Cocina. I want to try some other items on the menu if I can keep myself from repeating the best Mexican meal I've had in a very long time. By the way, the service was also excellent and warm.

• Visited September 2012