“Bad service and overall experience, ok food”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Asian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Portland, Oregon
“Bad service and overall experience, ok food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

From the second I walked into the door I felt unwelcomed. I was alone and they made it very clear that I was an inconvienance because they only had tables for four avalible. When I was given a table I felt like I was constantly being watched to see if I was done eating so the table could be used. Keep in mind it's on a college campus and there are constantly single guests. The guy who took my order was rude and only said "what do you want". Clearly he didn't listen because be came back 5 mins later and asked again, this time inquiring about what size pho I wanted. When I asked him the portion size he disnt answer, he walked away as if making a decision for me. My food was ok, the tea pot I was brought was obviously dirty and you could see the gunk built up in the spout. After I was done I looked around to see if they brought you a check. Others had them sitting on the table, so i waited. After several minutes I asked if I could give him my card to pay like i had seen others doing from the table and instead the waiter pointed to counter directing me to go up to the front. The portion sizes are massive and for a smaller female I wasn't able to eat even half of what I would assume was a large pho bowl. When the waiter came to clear my table he commented on the fact that I didn't finish my food, not as if worried about quality but as if I had waisted it. I will not go back, and don't recommend to others.

Tucson, Arizona
“Fabulous chicken curry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had lunch here with a colleague on his recommendation. I can't tell you how "authentic" the yellow chicken curry is, but is sure is delicious! A little spicy, a little sweet, not too much of either, with wonderful flavor. Service was fine - it's an assuming pleasant place for lunch. We arrived at 11:32 and had the place to ourselves, but by 11:45 it was full, so apparently lots of locals agree with our assessment.

• Visited September 2012
Cary, North Carolina
“So-So Vietnamese Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife & I really like Vietnamese food but what we had here was average at best. Plus we had 2 different servers and someone else brought us our bill. You expect that a place that calls itself a bakery would also have fresh bakery items available. Not here - the bakery counters were completely emply. We will not go back.

• Visited August 2012
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Going downhill!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

I go to Thanh-Long occasionally and I've really noticed that the quality of the food has really gone downhill over the past few years. I've always been pretty indifferent about the service as it's never been really bad or good. But today, when I got my lunch there, I had a bad experience. I tried to pay with a visa gift card (one of those kind you can use "anywhere visa is accepted") which had more than enough balance on it. I gave it to the guy at the counter and he didn't understand so he called the manager/owner over who had the most disgusted look on his face. He runs the card and tells me it's declined. I asked him to run it again and he does and shoves it back at me saying declined again and then he just turns his back. I have never had trouble using one of these cards anywhere else, so I thought I'd just use up the balance on my lunch, but if they aren't willing or able to process them, then they should just say they don't accept them. It's fine if they don't accept them but to embarrass me and treat me like dirt is not acceptable and because of that I'll take my business elsewhere.

Port Jefferson, New York
“Excellent Pho, Great Noodles, Friendly, and a Bit Quirky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

We've eaten here at least five times, and four of those times, the pho has been up to my wife's exacting Vietnamese standards. One time, she felt the soup was not completely fresh. The staff is friendly, the place is clean. Lots of students, PSU people, and Vietnamese, often sitting under the umbrellas on the sidewalk patio.