“Will Certainly Go Back”
Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Seattle, Washington
“Will Certainly Go Back”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

On a recent visit to Portland I stopped by for dinner at this excellent eatery. I started with the bacon wrapped dates and a Laphroaig neat following it up with the braised beef short rib....what a hit. The barley cushion was cooked perfectly and the rib fell off the bone finely paired with an oatmeal stout. To top it off, a nice glass of inniskillin ice wine...what a treat and surprise to find on the menue. I been to several upscale places in the downtown Portland area and this is the best so far...certainly go back several times before trying somewhere else. There are many dishes on the menu I would like to try however it will be the short rib again next time for sure.

Napa, California
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We had an excellent lunch experience...service, food quality, ambiance. Loved this place!

Knoxville, Tennessee
“My favorite restaurant in Portland”
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I've visited Portland a few times and this is my favorite restaurant, whether in the dining room or at the bar for dinner or brunch. Fantastic!

1 Thank sbdeaver
Tacoma, WA
“It has to be Portland's best kept secret”
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I was looking for a unique restaurant to have dinner with family in Portland. How could I resist a restaurant named "Veritable Quandary?" As I looked at the menu online I thought that it looked very good. I noticed that they had an 8 course tasting menu with wine pairings for $100 and couldn't believe it. We reserved on Wednesday for a Saturday night dinner and were completely blown away. We are from Seattle and have been to a Rovers in Seattle where and 8 course meal with wine pairings is just north of $200. From the appetizer of bacon wrapped stuffed dates to the chard with Dugeness crab to the venison and the incredible chocolate souffle with hand made salt caramels and perfect wine pairings this was sublime! Great grub, with imaginative wine pairings, for a price that is simply unbelievable. For me, dinner at Rovers is simply the best I have ever had, this was incredibly close to the quality of Rovers for half the price. Run, don't walk, to this marvelous restaurant for their tasting menu before they realize that they are selling it for half price. To top it off we were served in a private dining room, by a friendly, professional server. There is no question that the next time I am in Portland I will be back, great good, fantastic wine pairings and friendly professional service for a bargain price. Eight courses, eight wines, $100 a head--simply unbelievable!

hood river, oregon
“Great meal”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We had a great meal here this week. The service was a bit slow and tense when we were first seated but warmed up as the evening went on. We were seated near the bar which was hopping and pretty loud. We found the food to be creative and tasty.