“Excellent but slow”
Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The food and atmosphere is great and the place is bigger than it looks at first glance. Only complaint is that we sat for 15 minutes before our server appeared then another 25 minutes before he brought our drinks. That's the better part of an hour without anything folks. Solve that and its 5 stars across for me!

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

I'm sorry for the delay, Tom. That's completely unlike us--we do our best to make sure that all of our guests feel welcome and well cared for, but I'll definitely discuss that with our team. That aside, it's so nice to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your visit. I hope we'll get to show you a five-star meal soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had our anniversary dinner here tonight, and the whole experience was just amazing! The server and the restaurant accommodated my wife's food alergies flawlessly and without any fuss. We had a combination of standard menu items and this evening's specials -- and everything was "to die for" good! The experience was an all around fabulous experience. The wine list was extensive -- and the "by the glass" wines were vaired and high quality.

Thanks for celebrating your anniversary with us, Bill! It was a pleasure to make you both feel at home, and we hope that you enjoyed every bite. We'd love to welcome you back again soon--no matter what the occasion!

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I lived in Portland almost 10 years before trying VQ for brunch. Now I can't believe I waited.

Pros:
-Really excellent food
-Lots of character, and the experience is a little different each time, depending on where you sit. (In a good way!)
-Brunch. Ok, that's a repeat of the "food" comment, but it's worth repeating, because brunch here is ridiculously delicious.
-Friendly service
-Downtown location is convenient, even if parking can be tricky. Take the bus or walk; much easier.
-Convenient to the waterfront for strolling after brunch or dinner.

Cons:
-Crowded. Make a reservation.
-A little sqashy, but that's part of the character. It's an old building.
-There are no more cons.

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Better late than never! :) We're glad you gave us a try, Tara, and that you were so happy with every bite of your brunch. Thanks for the fabulous review, and be sure to join us on the patio sometime!

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a great spot on the river, with great views, great food, absolutely terrific service, a super bar, an outstanding menu, friendly staff--did I mention the wonderful food.

We had the spinach and wild mushroom salad with a warm dressing, spicy chicken skewers, and what they call seafood stew. The latter was similar to bouillabaisse but not so tomato flavored. We were too full for dessert, but they looked great. Veritable Quandry (VQ) even offers a chocolate soufflé for dessert.
Several diners told me that their burgers were the best in town.

The quandry is what to order. But you will not be rushed, despite the crowd. So choose at your leisure. In fact, you could probably not go wrong with any choice at all.

Make a reservation for the best seats.

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

That title really says it all! I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed it, Kalahun. Thanks for taking the time to sing our praises. I hope you'll join us for lunch again soon--after all, our menu is constantly evolving, so I know you'll find plenty of delicious dishes to try!

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The restaurant is surprisingly large. At first you see only an attractive bar area but it opens up into a lovely restaurant with a beautiful courtyard with tables also. My dinner was delicious.

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Yes, our patio is the perfect place to enjoy a sunny day! Thanks for the wonderful review. We can't wait to have you back again!

Cheers,