“A surprise inside!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Portland, Oregon
“A surprise inside!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The restaurant is surprisingly large. At first you see only an attractive bar area but it opens up into a lovely restaurant with a beautiful courtyard with tables also. My dinner was delicious.

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Yes, our patio is the perfect place to enjoy a sunny day! Thanks for the wonderful review. We can't wait to have you back again!

Cheers,

Seattle WA
“Are you Kidding Me?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Arrived in Portland with my lovely bride and wanted to dine somewhere funky. We've all seen the guide maps of cities touting sites, parking, transportation and restaurant's. Since these venues have to pay to advertise their location I typically don't pay a lot of attention to them, especially the restaurant listings. But then I eyed this moniker amongst the various PF Chang's, Applebee's, McDonalds etc. and thought to myself...Who in the world would name a restaurant "Veritable Quandry"? Then the brilliance of it dawned on me..I am now in a Veritable Quandry, wondering what in the world could this be? Sorry, I guess I'm channeling my inner Anthony Bourdain.
People...RUN...Do not walk to this restaurant. Turns out this place has been in business for 43 years and the owner is 77 years old and still kickin it. I'm not going to go into any detail about this place, menu or service...You'll just have to trust me

1 Thank KLeinSeattleWA
Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
A veritable quandary, indeed! :) Thanks for giving us a try, and for the wonderful review--I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal. Hope you and your wife will pop over again soon!

Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Based on all the positive reviews, we decided to try VQ for lunch and were not disappointed. The pulled pork sandwich was delicious and huge, as was my partner's beef skewer (the latter declared the tastiest dish since our arrival in the US). The setting is lovely and atmosphere lively. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful and we left armed with things to do (and things not to do) in Portland. We will probably return for dinner before we leave the city.

Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
What a lovely lunch! I'm so glad that you gave us a try, Simon, and that you loved our Pulled Pork Sandwich (great choice!). I hope you'll get a chance to join us for dinner, but if not, keep us in mind next time you're in town!

Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Service impeccable. Food scrumptious! The menu changes frequently, so what we had might not be what is available when you go. My husband had a salmon dish. I had a ribeye. Both were excellent, so were the sides. We started with the caesar salad. It was our first visit to Portland and we were only staying the weekend before continuing our trip. The food and service were so excellent that we went back again the next night for another delicious dinner.

1 Thank vzwriter
Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Yes, our menu does vary quite a bit, but we can promise you that there will be plenty of delicious dishes on tap when you're back in town! Until next time, thank you for reviewing us. We look forward to your next visit!

Oregon
“A Long-standing Portland Favorite - For Good Reason!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Veritable Quandary is one of our favorite places to take guests. Not only are the food and service excellent, the outdoor dining area is a real treat in nice weather. The food incorporates many locally-sourced ingredients and is a great example of Pacific NW Cuisine.

Strongly advise making reservations. I made the mistake of not doing so last Saturday, thinking that 6:30 pm on a sunny Saturday would be way too early to worry about not being seated. The place was already packed! Fortunately, a reservation canceled, so we got a table. When we left at what I would consider prime-time for Saturday night (e.g., between 7:30 and 8), it was even more crowded. As of the time of this writing, VQ was not yet on OpenTable.com, but hopefully it will be soon!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Snert3
Erin H, Manager at Veritable Quandary, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Yes, it's always a good idea to make a reservation! I'm glad we were able to squeeze you in, but I'm sorry you had to wait. Still, it's so nice to hear that you've always enjoyed your time with us, and we hope to continue welcoming you back for years to come. In the meantime, thank you so much for the fantastic review!