“Excellent food & ambience”
Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a great restaurant with really good Osso Bucco. We all really enjoyed the food & some great North Western Claret. The spring rolls were odd as they were open ones but tasted good & the chocolate soufflé that we shared for dessert was excellent. The service was the only thing that was a little slow as the restaurant was very busy on a Tuesday night. It is essential to book a table & I could not increase the numbers from 4 to 6 either!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

After reading reviews and getting hotel recommendation, made a reservation for my wife's birthday dinner. Our expectations were that this would be the best dinner we would have in Portland. Unfortunately, it was not. We were offered either outdoor or indoor seating. Upon choosing indoor, we were seated at a table in the rear of the restaurant. Immediately after sitting, we noticed many gnats flying around us constantly. We asked to be moved outside, which was much better. The food was just mediocre. In fact, can't remember what we had, other than it was too salty. The only thing that stands out for us, is the dessert. The chocolate soufle was incredible. So, I would not say this is a "must go" to restaurant for a special occasion. We had much better meals, while in Portland, at Southpark Seafood Grill & Wine Bar.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I'm very bias about the VQ because I have frequented it for over 30 years. Each year, it just gets better. Great food, good drinks and lots of atmosphere. The service is responsive and the menu varied. Everything they serve is delicious, especially the Oso Boco! If you're in Portland, don't miss the VQ. When you visit, think of the bar on Cheers!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

New to Portland we accompanied our cousin expecting to sit down for a good but not great meal. Boy, were we surprised. From the friendly greeting (this coming from a Southerner) at the door to the sitting down at the table we decided that we might be in for a meal worth remembering and we were not disappointed. The pork tenderloin, a special for the night, was chosen by three of our party and it was as tender as any pork any of us had ever eaten (remember we are from the South and know something about pork). I chose the Osso Bucco with a little hesistancy since the restaurant is not an Italian restaurant, but it was a specialty of the restaurant. The dish put to shame the Osso Bucco I had at Spiaggia in Chicago. The staff was very attentive and again made us feel as if we were regulars of the restaurant.

1  Thank rushandjoannstuart
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Where to begin. Our party of four had reservations at the VQ on Saturday night and we're warmly greeted by staff and chef, and seated right away in a beautiful room with ceiling to floor windows overlooking the outside patio. From the moment we arrived we felt like we were visiting a long lost friend, such nice people.
We started with appetizers. Duck confit spring rolls with a wasabi and ginger dipping sauce, fresh pear, leek and Gorgonzola tartlet with walnuts and a warm honey drizzle YUM, and pork belly confit & maple glazed pumpkin and toasted pepitas, Incredible. Every item was beautifully presented and so very delightful. We then shared a yummy roasted wild mushroom & baby spinach salad that had a wonderful buttermilk and blue cheese with pancetta vinaigrette.
Now on to our entrees. I had the best ever lamb chops, cooked to perfection. The only issue I had with my dish is that I will NEVER find a restaurant that will cook lamb again like I had at the VQ.
The others in our party had osso bucco that was served on a bed of Parmesan & basil risotto,This was a delicious rich and hearty dish that you knew had been cooking for hours. Arctic char was another hit, served on a beautiful bed of black rice, greens,fresh avocado with crispy parsnips
and a miso vinaigrette, such a beautiful presentation, it tasted as good as it looked. Lastly the duck confit with wild rice risotto. I am not a duck lover but I am now. This duck was incredible, nice crispy skin with the moistest duck, so amazing. Yes, we were all very full by now but you can not go to the veritable quandary without dessert. We indulged in the most spectacular chocolate soufflé' and the triple berry sorbet. The soufflé was out of this world. When it is brought to your table they put a knife right down the center and then pour this chocolate deliciousness in....... Pure heaven. A tasty way to end this food event.
The VQ is by far the best restaurant we have ever had the pleasure of dining at. From the moment you arrive, to leaving with very satisfied stomachs you will not be disappointed about your experience , and I am sure if you live in the area you will be back over and over again.
thank you VQ, and all of the wonderful people that care so much about your visit.

1  Thank thebrigans