“One of Portland's Must Go TO Restaurants”
Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Fabulous quintessential Portland vibe. Great atmosphere with friends or couples, Incredible inventive delicious fresh seasonal menu. Literally every bite is an "um" Knowledgeable wait staff and management,

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great food, great service. Classic Portland restaurant...very busy so go early. Outside dining in the Summer is a great experience. Also good for business lunches.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I picked "VQ" solely off the basis of the TA ratings, and they were spot-on. I went there both nights I was in downtown Portland. I use the word "nights" expansively. I got there at 5:00--when they start serving dinner -- and was barely able to get a seat. That's how popular it is.

I had two kinds of potage-type soups, three different sides and two different flavors of homemade ice cream. All were excellent. I would remark specifically on the chocolate malt ice cream -- even jaded chocolate aficionadoes will find this to be an inventive and intensely flavored creation.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hosting our own 37th Wedding Anniversary with 4 special friends it had to be perfect......... and it was! If you have read any of my other reviews, you know I have a soft spot for fine dining in restaurants that parade you past their bars on the way to the dining room. VQ has the space set up just right, intimate but not crowded.
Though this night was planned to be all about the food, given the fabulous reputation this fixture has earned, this rave is about the attention to our party.
Simply booked as an 8pm party of 6 with no intention of showcasing our special event, somehow the young lady who took the reservation figured something was special. A few days later, Jason called to confirm the reservation and ask if this was a special event, my wife explained the occasion and that was that.
Just past the bar on the left is a little atrium normally set w/ 4 small tables, but this night it was our candlelit dining room for 6, all without asking.
From "ducks on the pond" martinis to crispy duck and grilled sturgeon, the food and drink could not overshadow the service, at least not this night.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'd been to the VQ for business lunches in the past but this was the first time I went there for dinner. It's a great place. I very seldom get duck but when I saw crispy duck on the menu, I thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed. Quite the contrary. It was absolutely delicious. Crispy, tender and not the least bit gamey. The friend I went with had the osso buco and enjoyed it as well. Looking forward to my next trip to Portland just to try it again.

1  Thank TravlinJackVA