“Very poor food and no atmosphere”
Review of Dragonwell Bistro

Dragonwell Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonwell Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #470 of 4,364 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Yamhill
Transit: Conveniently next to the SW Yamhill Max Station in Downtown Portland
Description: Dragonwell Bistro is centrally located in Downtown Portland at SW 1st and Yamhill by next to the MAX Yamhill Station. If you dare, come inside and take a look, this is not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant. when you walk in, you will be greeted with an Upscale Bistro with high ceilings and a full spacious bar along with the Newer decorations Owner Jack Brought back from China. The smell of the food will make you want to sit down, and one taste of any of their popular dishes some of which was brought back by Jack from the 20 years of travelling in China. will keep you coming back time after time. If you are a visit, be sure to flag Jack down to give you some suggested place to go, as he grew up here in Portland but have live in Portland, San Francisco, LA, New York and Asia for the past 20 years. We love visitors, from all over!!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visited here as it was close to our hotel. Almost immediately we regretted our choice. The service was perfunctory and the atmosphere non existent. We were more or less the only people in. The food was just good enough that you could not complain, but we would not return.

1  Thank Leedsdave
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hi Dave,
I am sorry that you have a bad experience at our restaurant, it means a lot to us when you review us, good or bad, we need to know. You must have came in on Labor Day weekend and being a downtown location, long holiday weekend most of our clients are out of town, thus you do not see many people there which is normal. As to the food, we have been here for over 12 years with the same chef, and many many more prasied our food rather than complain about it, I know because I spend the time to visit our clients/customers whenever I can to learn from them, so I can only attribute to your not liking the food we served as being that Chinese food does not fit your taste. As you have mentioned you chose us because it was close to your hotel and not because you like Chinese food. I don't expect everyone like a particular ethnic food as I am the same way. Thanks for your visit, and I apologize for your bad experience.

Owner
Dragonwell Bistro

There are newer reviews for Dragonwell Bistro

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was my third visit to Dragonwell. The restaurant is clean and spacious. There are a variety of items on the lunch menu. You will be paying a slightly higher price than for a typical Chinese lunch and there will be no free soup included, but the food it very good. I chose the Mongolian beef on this occasion. The helping was a little on the smaller side (stated by someone who does not eat large portions), but tasty. I plan to eat the fried rice on the next occasion. Staff are friendly!

jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

If you have visited us for the third time, you are really our most valued clients and we want to make sure we treat you right, if there is anything we need improve on, please let us know. Most of our clients here are very health conscious so we make the portion just the right amount. Our hot and sour soup is probably one of the best you can find around here and we sale a lot to proof that claim. Next time when you visit us again, just tell your server that the Owner Jack said you can have a cup of soup on him so you can try how tasty the soup is. Thank you again for your visit, your repeat visit means a lot to all of us here at Dragonwell. Do share any comments you have for our improvement to make your visit even more enjoyable. Have a great day!

Owner Dragonwell Bistro

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Dragonwell Bistro sits alone down by the river in the SW district of Portland, but it is worth a trip for authentic and varied chinese cooking. No MSG, naturally, in this capital of culinary correctness. All of the dishes we tried (mongolian beef, orange chicken, shrimp, dumplings) were very well prepared and promptly served. Our waiter was extremely helpful in suggesting the specialities of the chef. Nice beer and wine selection, as well as cocktails. The dining room is spare but attractive and the noise level is minimal. A nice evening out.

jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hi John,
Thank you so much for your review. Especially after the review we received before you which denote us in such a bad restaurant. I am so glad that we are giving you a good experience here. When I take a look at your credential, I am more impressed by your review as you are a highly regarded reviewer at TripAdvisor.com So it means so much more to receive a positive review from you. But most of all, I just want to make sure visitor to our restaurant is in fact have a enjoyable and memorable experience because at the end of the day, that is the most important goal of mine and everyone else here at Dragonwell Bistro. Thank you John for visiting us. Please feel free to give us any suggestion you have and we will try hard to incorporate. Hope to see you again soon!

Owner Dragonwell Bistro

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Literally the most repulsive food I've ever put in my mouth. Like what were they serving me? i couldnt even identify my chicken as chicken..I would rather have passed on dinner then eating at this terrible restaurant. My mother was puking all the next day and claims she could see the "fine dumpling appetizers" whole. Appetizing right? As you can tell I would NOT recommend this restaurant when visiting Portland. It's sad to think I wasted my money and time at this place.

1  Thank mcwerbel
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

It often puzzles me how our restaurant can go from The best food and greatest service to your recent comments that denote us as someone shouldn't be in this business. So I make sure my chef with let me try to taste most of the dishes before serving our clients. After a few days of doing this, I did not find any changes to the normal dishes that we have been serving our customers for the PAST TEN PLUS YEARS. So my conclusion is that maybe you just don't like Chinese food and if you don't really like Chinese food, perhaps there is not much we can do better. As we try to make sure MOST of our customers is satisfied as to their dinning experience in Dragonwell Bistro, because that is our number one goal, starting from myself as the owner to the dishwisher and everyone in between that we want our customers and clients to have a happy experience here always. But we also realize that we can not make others to like Chinese food if they don't like that to begin with. BTW, China is a big place with many different regional food, one likes one region may not care for another regional food. So thank you for trying us out anyway, we appreciated your coming and your comments.

Jack Chu, Owner

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Food was inexpensive, high quality and tastes very good. The crispy shrimp were excellent! As was the fried eggplant and the dumpling appetizer.

Thank you so much for your visit to Dragonwell, we just hope your visit was a pleasant and enjoyable one. It is customers like yourself that keep us improving our service and food. Thank you for your comments and all of us here really appreciate your visit. Hope to see you again!

Jack Chu, Owner

Been to Dragonwell Bistro? Share your experiences!