“Great Food, wonderful owner, and thoughtful hostess!”
Review of Dragonwell Bistro

Dragonwell Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonwell Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #476 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Yamhill
Transit: Conveniently next to the SW Yamhill Max Station in Downtown Portland
Description: Dragonwell Bistro is centrally located in Downtown Portland at SW 1st and Yamhill by next to the MAX Yamhill Station. If you dare, come inside and take a look, this is not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant. when you walk in, you will be greeted with an Upscale Bistro with high ceilings and a full spacious bar along with the Newer decorations Owner Jack Brought back from China. The smell of the food will make you want to sit down, and one taste of any of their popular dishes some of which was brought back by Jack from the 20 years of travelling in China. will keep you coming back time after time. If you are a visit, be sure to flag Jack down to give you some suggested place to go, as he grew up here in Portland but have live in Portland, San Francisco, LA, New York and Asia for the past 20 years. We love visitors, from all over!!
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I, being from San Francisco, are very picky about our Chinese food, we happened upon this restaurant late Saturday night. There was a party happening on one end of the restaurant; the hostess quickly gave us a great table away from the noise of the party. She quickly recommended the house specialty – the pork dumplings, she wanted to make sure that because it took a while to make, that we would have ample time to enjoy them. The owner, a SF transplant himself, learning we were from San Francisco, came by to chat with us, reminisce about the Bay Area, he was friendly, but not overbearing, the dumplings were out of this world. We also ordered the ribs and the spicy chicken, everything was well-prepared and very delicious. The restaurant itself was clean, had a beautiful ambiance, and wonderful people working there. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone going to Portland!

jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you so much for visiting us. And having lived in San Francisco before, having you two here feel like my friend is visiting from far away, which would make anyone's day. I am just glad that all of us at Dragonwell Bistro is able to take good care of you to your satisfaction, as that is our number one goal here for all of my staffs. We hope to see you the next time you visit us again! Thank you for your review, it means a world to us. Jack

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Thanks Irene for introducing us to Champagne Chicken
The spicy chicken is wonderful too
Beautiful wraps
Great cocktails - Oriental Passion for tequila lovers and Pendleton Blush for whiskey lovers!
If you are in Portland - Do not miss this place!!!!!!!

Thank you for your visit, we are so glad that we were able to take good care of you. You satisfaction is always our number goal here at Dragonwell Bistro. Hope to see you again soon! Jack

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Post intro to XLB in Shanghai a few years ago, we have enjoyed searching across the US for similar delicacies. The Dragonwell has recently added XLB and they were flavorful and served nicely, but, as typical of prepared-ahead bao, the filling had shrunken and the wrapper was too thick. With the jia jia tang bao in Shanghai as ten, and Shanghai dumpling shop in Milbrae, CA near SFO as six, Dragonwell is four and most of the shops around DC three or less. So, a four rating is fine to satisfy your XLB craving, and the serving staff at Dragonwell were pleasant and helpful. Enjoy!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The service was excellent and the place was empty. Only four of us in this large restaurant. The potsticker appetizer was excellent, but the dinner went downhill from there. The kung pow shrimp had almost no flavor and was not very spicy...the shrimp had a very fishy flavor. The chef's chicken special was better, but still not great. Probably okay for lunch, but I wouldn't go again...there was a reason no one else was in the restaurant.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wow, I don't know why this place is rated so high.

I had gone with coworkers before and then one day went in for a late lunch. The place wasn't busy at all but service was slow in not friendly. After what seemed like forever, I got my meal and I found hair on my food. Thick black hair just laying visibly there. Waiter didn't apologize and I waited for a replacement. After that though, I'm never going back.

Plenty of better options around.

1  Thank mom084
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

I am sorry for what happened at our restaurant. This sort if thing des happen, and sure puts a great meal into a bad one. I hope you let our server know, as it is always our policy to make things right for all of our value customers. We have our high rating because it is true that we strife to make sure our customers are satisfy. And as a human being, we admit that we are not 100% of the time, but you can be sure we try hard to. Thank you for your comment and we will listen and improve. Again, sorry about your bad experience here. We all feel bad too!