“Great place, great value, interesting atmosphere”

Saburo's Sushi House
Ranked #791 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League
Neighborhood: Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League
Reviewed May 22, 2013

You may have to wait unless you get there early. Could be 45 - 60 minutes. Just go with the flow. You can even walk around or go to a bar for a drink. Once inside it is a bit crowded but all part of the deal. Sushi rolls the side of Shaquille O'Neal's forearm. I kid you not. One could easily feed 2 people. Great value. We ordered a ton of stuff and took a lot home. I thought the service was good. Just chill out and enjoy.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Whenever I get to Portland I try and get a sushi fix since there is nothing close to a good sushi restaurant where I live. I am always amazed at the value and quality of the fish at Saburo's. Our meal for two, including a shared large beer was $35 and included a soup, salad and three orders of sushi plus a spider roll ... And the portion sizes are oversized compared to most places. Took four pieces home!

There is usually a line, but on a Thursday night at 5:30 we got the last table without waiting. Such a great deal.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This place has very fresh sushi, and some of the most generous portions of nigiri sushi that I have ever seen! In my opinion, it is the nigiri that is the draw here. The rolls are good, but not that unique and what I consider the standard options. But they give you the trimmings off the nigiri and the price is quite reasonable.
The place generally opens at 4:30, but has a line that generally starts forming before 4pm and the establishment fills before the line cycles through. The place is fairly small, but is a great option for sushi.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was so excited to try this place after reading all the reviews online but after trying it, it is just not worth the wait. They have a small parking lot adjacent to the building which was full when I got there but there is ample parking on the street. There was a large crowd in front of the restaurant when I got there. Upon arrival there is a clipboard outside of the restaurant where you write your name down, next to it there is a sign that says expect a 60-90 minute wait. My friend and I look at each other hungry but decide to make the wait since it had such great reviews. Prior to being seated the waiter gives you a menu and a dry erase pen which you can select what you'd like to order. Keep in mind your only allowed to place ONE order per group so I noticed a lot of people walking out of the restaurant with to go boxes (great way for a customer to over order). There were so many options to choose from, I didn't know where to start. We ended up ordering a bunch of different items. The portions here are HUGE! one slice of fish on the nigiri literally take about 3 bites to finish.... I was astounded at the size of everything and for such a cheap price. The sushi roll was just OK, it was huge but looked sloppy. The mussels were not fresh and bland (I could tell it was previously frozen). The hamachi collar was dry and over cooked. The deep fried calmari was yummy. Overall this restaurant is very cheap with huge portions, but coming from someone who lived in Hawaii all my life with fresh seafood I'd rather pay more for better quality than quantity. If there was no wait I would go back but the 90 minute wait is just ridiculous...

Reviewed March 8, 2013

because as other reveiwers have mentioned the line can be daunting & it could increase our wait time! Perhaps I am biased as I was lucky enough to go to this place in it's early days (when virtually unknown) as it it only blocks away walk for me. It truly is the best in Portland and there are several really good sushi places in Portland (that will wait for other reviews). The value is a plus and the atmosphere is quaint even if a bit cramped with close tables. This goes by the wayside when the delicious fresh sushi or food arrives. While sushi is pretty much what folks go here for I have another favorite - the tempura udon soup. Did I say comfort food? Think mothers great medicinal chicken noodle soup japanese style. Give it & all of Saburos top notch cuisine a try.