“Gorgeous Facility, Delicious Beer”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Ranked #82 of 4,479 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A day after my Boon's Treasury experience, I met friends at Kennedy School - where I had the hemp patty with burger setup once again... we ordered tater tots, and I was surprised that they came doctored up with a ton of cheese (but my friend turns out to be a lot more maternal than I realized and picked cheese off tater tots and loaded up my plate with them). After eating tater tots two days in a row, I think I am set on those greasy little things for at least another 10 years (good fresh hand cut french fries are way better!).

The sandwich was pretty much the same as the experience at Boon's Treasury - but the side salad also gets sprinkled with cheese. I got a replacement, and found more than a few swampy bits in their spring mix.

Dining out on the back patio of the Boiler Room was ok - but since it's right off the parking lot, well.. it feels like you're right off a parking lot. Next time, I'll aim for the Courtyard or some other nicer pub in Kennedy.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My first trip to Portland and we were there for my boyfriend's daughter's wedding. The family (no rehearsal dinner) dinner was @ the Kennedy School. Being a teacher and having been in many old school buildings, I was enthralled!!! So much to see, so much to do!!! Several bars, including the Detention Room (Cigar Bar), the Brewery, Gift Shop (which they carried LARGER sizes in the clothing), Movie Theater, so much cool artwork and lighting fixtures. The food was great (Cajun Tater Tots awesome), and came back for breakfast a few days later!!! Wish there was something like this in Denver!!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ate here for a wedding rehearsal with my friends and watched as the waitress got told by two of them to make sure their mac and cheese and rootbeers were more special than each others. To her credit, she did exactly that, giving one cherries in their drink and the other bacon with their mac.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Look, I know I am a tough customer so I don't eat out too much. I am wheat and corn intolerant which makes it hard to find anything eat. This is especially true when I get to a busy restaurant that is short staffed and there is a long wait. I get so lightheaded from hunger I am not able think clearly to figure out what is edible for me. This is the perfect storm I encountered at the Courtyard. But, if I can find a place with a helpful staff, a dedicated fryer or rice and some protein that is not slathered in soy sauce or some mystery flavor enhancer (read corn), I can usually find something to eat. This place, however, while catering to vegans, seemed to not have the same friendliness towards us gluten-free sorts. After a half hour wait at a dirty outside table, with the birds picking at the food on the ground, our waitress finally took our drink order. When she heard me say I was gluten intolerant I think she assumed I couldn't drink beer. I mentioned to her that I can have barley. I don't think this registered because from then on she never asked me what I wanted to drink (perhaps she could have offered me wine?),so I didn't order anything. It would have made my mood more pleasant. My husband ordered a sample tray and I tasted the ones that don't have wheat in them. So, after another 15 to 20 minute break she took our food order. My poor son was famished, I was quickly going downhill, so when it came time for me to order I tried to find something that didn't require too much thought. I chose the pork medallions with fries as a substitute for the hominy salad. I verified that it was a dedicated fryer. What she brought another 20 minutes later was a huge pile of very dark bitter french fries with a few small bits of meat. It was pretty bad. Even my husband said the fries tasted bad. The plates of my husband and son looked pretty good, burgers and fries, theirs were not so dark. I tried my fries and they were awful. I think the oil was burnt or rancid. I complained about the meal and almost left the restaurant, I was so hungry, disappointed, and weary from waiting and being ignored. It was almost like as soon as she heard I was gluten free the waitress tried to avoid me, I was too much trouble and she was too busy. She did end up comping the my meal. But overall, it put a bad spin on our whole visit. I ended up walking down the block to the local co-op to get a decent meal. It had to be one of the worst experiences I have had in a restaurant in recent years.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

...I keep wondering why in the world the McMenamins cannot get their food act together! It's maddening, that, with so much love, care, and hours dedicated to keeping one of the most beautiful gardenscapes of any restaurant, far and wide, the food served here barely registers. My fish and chips was frozen food quality- the fish lacking any distinguishing flavor. And, in a town were you can get decent french fries at many food carts, the soggy cardboard fries at this (and most other) McMenamins are an embarrassment. Tea (loose leaf, to boot!) was nicely served- hot, in a pot, service was a bit slow but friendly and caring. But what's so hard to swallow at the Kennedy School is the kitchen staff's baffling incompetence, especially against the background of such beautiful environs to eat food in.

2  Thank Juno M