“Take a whole group - community seating”
Review of Le Bistro Montage

Le Bistro Montage
Ranked #266 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The vision of Jon Beckel, Le Bistro Montage's founder, was to have a place where everyone could enjoy themselves and have a great meal. He hit the mark with Le Bistro Montage. Founded in 1992 in a converted taco stand, it soon moved to it's present location at 301 SE Morrison. On a shoestring budget, Jon and staff created a one of a kind place where, when you step in the door, you're not quite sure where you are. Its quirky decor, including huge paintings, a poster pulled off the Berlin Wall, decadent fresh flowers, tin cans pounded into the floor, and long, linen-covered tables, Creates an atmosphere that draws all types and guarantees a great time.
Cathedral City, California
“Take a whole group - community seating”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Weeknights are a bit more quiet, and weekends can be very busy. If you have a large group get a reservation and sit at the long tables. But if you are just two or four and want to talk go over to the bar. Same menu, but a bit more quiet and easier to talk.

Food is largely comfort food and the Mac and Cheese options are good. The hush puppies are a great starter.

Favorite drink is the way they make a moscow mule

• Visited March 2014

Adelaide, Australia
“Fun night out”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our group had a great time at Montage. Service was great and we loved the special treatment when ordering Oyster shooters and especially the aluminum foil 'doggy bags' in various animal shapes (for all the kids left overs - for those that aren't aware of the term doggy bags). The bench seating is fun and great for meeting other interesting people. Reasonable prices. Food was good too.

• Visited January 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Yummy and a fun (although noisy) spot!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

While the service was a bit slow, it was worth the wait. They were bustling, as it was a full house. The macaroni and cheese (old mac) was delicious and I added scallops and broccoli for additional flavor. The Kick-[--] Cosmo was the best cosmo I've had in years! And the key lime pie rivaled that from Key West. A very fun night with a full belly. Be sure to ask for some of your food in a "to go" container and you will enjoy the presentation.

• Visited January 2014
provincetown
“Went on a recommendation”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've been living in the south for 10 years. My girlfriend and I were visiting friend and her friend recommended Montage to us. We started out paying a ton for small drinks, thankfully I am a beer drinker and could try some good local brews. But the vodka drink my girlfriend had was in the smallest glass ever and rather expensive for a vodka soda. We had to sit in the back room because being told that it would take an hour to get a table, we were offered the option to sit in the back. We had friends coming to meet us so we didn't just ditch the place. I wish we would have. The menu is a big one sheet with scribble on it i guess to seem pretentious, southern or whatever they are going for. It's basically Jumbalaya, Rice dishes, and macaroni and cheese with the choice of putting chicken, gator, crawfish on whatever you'd like. I was rather unimpressed with a billboard style menu and the fact that there are only 4 or 5 option for food on it. We tried the Oyster shooters. I love oysters, one of my favorite food. An oyster shooter is usually an oyster, shot of vodka, a little cocktail sauce or tabasco, and maybe some old bay on the rim. This however was an oyster barrier under a pile of horseradish mayonnaise and ketchup. It was probably one of the worst things I've ever been served in a restaurant, absolutely awful. I'm not sure if it's a west coast thing, local thing, or something that someone came up with at the restaurant. It surely doesn't go with your southern theme on the menu and it isn't good, or even edible.

My girlfriend got the macaroni and cheese with Crawfish, and I regrettably ordered the Biscuits and Gravy with Chicken Fried steak. The whole macaroni and cheese thing on the menu is cute and quaint, but if it's one of the only things you offer you should try to make it good. It is more a Macaroni in a Behcamel, because there is little to no cheese flavor. The macaroni was Hammered beyond belief, no bite to the noodle what so ever. It was typical with a little spinach as garnish. Salt and Pepper go a long way, It looks like it was scraped out of a pan and then some over cooked rubbery frozen crawfish were laid on top, and I'm sure that's all it was.

Like I said, I had the biscuits and gravy with chicken fried steak. What I got may have been an acceptable meal if served to me in prison. But not for 17 dollars. We are traveling across the country and I probably had chicken fried steak way more then I should of, but it reminds me of home and it's usually never bad anywhere. Except at Montage, it's bad here. How bad? The worst I've ever had. Taken right out of the freezer then deep fried till it was overcooked and then covered in the worst Sausage gravy I've ever had. I'm sure it was from a can, it had that pre-made cement feel to it. The biscuits, as you could guess also awful. Right out of the freezer and into a microwave.

Southern Food is simple to make, but it's rich and full of flavor and most of the best places you can taste the love that went into making it. Either it's all pre made and you are all heating it up and plating it, or you just don't care that you are representing a cuisine from a part of the country poorly. I can't believe that it's packed like it was, We also had poor service. But I guess having a mediocre restaurant under the train tracks in the meat packing district is hip and trendy in Portland. Go to New Orleans, (which I've also recently been and love) eat anywhere in the city, they all do everything on your menu way better then you do it, effortlessly. Southern food isn't something to have a concept restaurant to, it's an actual style of food that is really good and has been for hundreds of years.

• Visited October 2013
Mullica Hill, New Jersey, United States
“Good food but very dark inside”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We went here to celebrate my daughter's birthday as she loves the Mac n cheese here. There was a 45 min wait so we sat in the lounge to kill time . I had the red beans and rice with andouille but it was so dark , I wound up cutting up my cornbread into the dish! Hubby ate all of his chicken fried steak & my daughter and her boyfriend took leftovers home just to see what tinfoil creation they would get. Not crazy about the family style seating and closeness of the tables-but service was fine .

Been to Le Bistro Montage? Share your experiences!