“Tucked away and doesn't look like much on the outside...but very good”
Review of Chez Jose

Chez Jose
Ranked #348 of 4,320 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Tucked away and doesn't look like much on the outside...but very good”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had driven pas Chez Jose many times as it is on my way to and from work, but it doesn't look like much from the outside and is in a bit of a depressed looking set of stores. It was recommended by a friend, so we gave it a shot. The place is a lot bigger than it looks, but still looks more like a diner. We were seated after 15 min or so and were brought some excellent margaritas. The Chicken quesadillas were very good and we also had the burritos, some beef and lime chicken tacos. The food came very quickly and was hot, fresh and delicious. One of the top Mexican food places in Portland that isn't trying to be something else and isn't all that cheesy Mexican chain type place. We very much enjoyed our experience there and will definitely be back

• Visited November 2013

“predictable high quality”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

the food at chez jose is always well prepared from fresh ingredients. i've been coming here for 20 years and have always had a good experience. the only downside is the general noise level, they could use some noise attenuating materials on the walls and ceiling.

• Visited November 2013
“Good Mexican Food”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I like this place but they give me too much food on my plate and I don't eat that much on a daily basics. The only time I come here is when my dad wants to come here.

San Francisco, California
“Best Mexican in Portland, so far”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Starting with the chips and (2 types) salsa which were very good. Guacamole was a good portion, and was served with chopped onions, olives, and more on the side which was super. I had one fish taco and one chicken taco ala carte. the fish taco was moist and tasty, the chicken taco a little dry. The portions are decent sized, and fresh but not cheap. like some people said, it is not superb, but really good and I will be back. BTW I lived in San Diego for 13 years - comparing a Ramiros taco joint to this sit-down restaurant with full bar is like comparing a Vespa to a Harley. both are good, but not in the same category. If you want authentic Tijuana food, there is an outdoor grill on Beaverton Hillsdale close to the 217 that serves $1 tacos, and makes fresh corn tortillas while you wait.

• Visited August 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Great place, great food”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is actually one of our favorite places to eat in Portland. The food is always consistently good, service is very good, not all up in your face New York style, just laid back. It is a very casual place but can get very busy as it's a popular destination and has been at this location for a while. I think their prices are very fair and their margaritas are excellent as we always have them make them sugar free, meaning no syrup, just limes and tequila. Try it. Their food is kind of a mix of California meets Oregon, a little stylistic twist from the regular Mexican food you would have in this area. Great place, good location, nice people.

• Visited September 2013