“nice surprise from take out dinner!”

Red Onion Thai Cuisine
Ranked #214 of 4,868 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Reviewed April 10, 2017

we ordered several dishes to take out for Friday dinner. I had a hard time making some of the choices, especially some of the house specialties. We landed on the volcano beef, pad thai and massaman curry (sp?). The volcano beef almost disappeared before I had a chance to get some. The massaman was succulent and flavorful. WIth a little rice, and those great noodles, it was a great dinner. It went on too. On the day after, we had curry w rice, and added our own roasted veggies. wonderful sauce!

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

Fast and efficient restaurant. Nice selection of Thai food served hot, fresh and fast. Prices are a bit high but the portions are good. Parking available on the street paid via a meter.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed January 28, 2017

What an amazingly good dinner. Showed up and there was a wait, so we were offered hot tea on a cold night. Enjoyed tom khan chicken and egg roll appetizers. When I thought of what seemed local to Oregon, thought salmon was the answer. So I ordered the wild sockeye salmon panang and gave my mouth a thrill, though not sure if my tummy was even happier.our waiter, David (who also gave us the tea), was an exceptional delight. Really made the evening enjoyable, as if the deliciousness wasn't enough. Only disappointment was we spent so long savoring every morsel that the kitchen closed before we could order dessert. If you're only here for a visit, this is seriously a do not miss stop (from a spoiled New York critic).

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed December 16, 2016

I've eaten here once before and the pad see ew decent... I had beef, the noodles were flavorful and veggies okay. This time, I was so looking forward to some delicious thai, so I got the pad see ew with chicken and the noodles were all stuck together, the chicken tasted like frozen strips that they heated up and the veggies were blah. Pay the extra 1-3 dollars and go to Kinara thai or Thai Bloom. So dependable and so much better.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed November 26, 2016 via mobile

In general, it is very difficult to find authentic, good Thai food in the USA and this restaurant fits that description. The Pad Thai was gluey and tasteless, except for the hot component. The Fried Basil with Shrimp and Chicken was just ok. The service was very good but I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants "real" Thai food.

Date of visit: November 2016