“great crab cakes”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“great crab cakes”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We read about this restaurant in The Oregonian and decided to check it out. We liked the small plates and the service was excellent. The server was very knowledgeable and guided us to through the menu. The decor was decidedly low-brow and the emphasis clearly was on the food. My wife especially liked the crab cakes declaring them the best she has ever had.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Mike B

Portland Oregon
“Unique in a city of many fine restaurants”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We recently returned to Navarre with some friends who asked for a recommendation. Navarre is a pioneer in both the "locavore" and small plates movements. Seasonal vegetable dishes are always a good choice. Crab cakes and lamb are regulars on the menu and always great. When we first started going there the service was somewhat slow as it was usually understaffed, but that is no longer the case. Staff are very helpful in navigating the many choices and making recommendations both for food and wine. A unique Portland experience that I highly recommend.

• Visited May 2012
Bellevue, WA
“Good food, confusing style”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

First, the good things: their food really is very good. They have a wonderfully creative menu, and they really know how to cook it. You can find things here you didn't even know existed, and they will taste absolutely wonderful.

Each time I have gone, though, there have been hitches with the service. First, the people I go with are always somewhat confused by the menu style. I think once you get the hang of it, it makes sense, but you have to fill out a checklist with different sizes, and it's somewhat overwhelming for some people.

Also, I really can't say that I have been impressed by the service. One time, we indicated what we were looking for in a wine, and the server's recommendation turned out to just not be the kind of wine we were looking for. If she didn't know, she ought to have found someone who did rather than recommending something that did not fit.

Another time, some of the people at our table wanted to go Chef's Choice, while others did not. The servers said the only way to do this was for the non-Chef's Choice people to wait through several CC courses without getting any food, while the CC diners ate. After discussing our options, we called the server back and asked her to try to find away around this rule, but they did not budge. We didn't even get a reason beyond "that's just how we do things." This kind of inflexibility seems odd for a high-end restaurant.

I want to like this place, but I do think I have to put other Portland restaurants ahead of it.

• Visited April 2012
Redlands, California
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We were a party of 3 and we had the Chef's Choice, which was 10 plates of a nearly dizzying array of fantastic dishes! There were vegetables that I wouldn't normally have ordered, but everything was so delicious! Huge kudos to the chefs - excellent dinner! Will definitely go back next time I am Portland!

Tips: they were quite busy for dinner on a Saturday night and they only take reservations for parties of 6 or more, so you may have a wait or you can sit at the bar and have a great view into the kitchen, where the staff work like a well-oiled machine! It is a small restaurant and so quite noisy with all the happy customers' chatter.

Portland, Oregon
“Best Dessert in town”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Headed to Navarre after a disappointing meal at Piazza Italia. We ordered the red velvet cake, sweet potato pie and pear tart. There red velvet is hands down the best red velvet I've ever tasted. We had a couple glasses of rose as well. Talked a bit with the own John who is always helpful when picking a good wine. Service was great as well.

• Visited March 2012