“Happy Anniversary”
Review of Andina Restaurant

Andina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Andina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4,341 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pearl
Cross street: 13th
Transit: Portland Streetcar: 10th/Glisan (Northbound to NW 23rd) and 11th/Glisan (Southbound to PSU)
Description: Andina draws inspiration from the native culinary traditions of Peru, as well as from the contemporary cooking by some of Peru’s leading chefs. Owner Doris Rodriguez de Platt, collaborates with Andina’s kitchen team to develop a menu that celebrates her family’s Andean roots, interweaving the ideas and techniques of both Criollo and Novo-Andean cuisines. The kitchen sources native and local ingredients to create dishes at once traditionally rooted and personally inspired. Founded in 2003, Andina emerged as one of the region’s leading Peruvian restaurants and continues to generate wide appeal within the food communities in and around Portland, and much further afield.
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Happy Anniversary”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

It's our anniversary so we wanted something special, but not just fancy. There are so many good eating venues in Portland it's almost hard to pick one. This was our third time here, but the first in about six years. I must say the overall quality was just superb, as it was before. The food is unique and delicious, while maintaining its roots to the Peruvian culture. The portions were perfect for us and each item on the plate had it's own distinct taste. The spice dishes brought with our starters and main courses were also outstanding. It's a busy, social atmosphere, but the energy in the room is positive and enjoyable. We highly recommend the Pisco Sour drink as well. We had a nice visit with the owner while we waited for the main course, giving us a bit of the Andina.

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Almost perfect.”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We recently ate dinner at Andina based on friends' recommendation and it's ranking on TA. Overall, the experience was very, very good. A few fine points that were missing would have made it really first class in my opinion. The quick and dirty review is that for $100 it was a great dinner out. More detailed thoughts below...

The food was excellent, my wife and I shared the grilled octopus and the empinada share plates. Both had lovely flavours to savour and the preparation was perfect in both cases.

My main course was the daily special, a veal dish that was perfectly prepared, to a tender medium rare. The sauce was savoury and hit the mark as was the mashed lentil accompaniment.

My wife ordered the seared scallop entree. Three large scallops were provided and were done perfectly, served on a tower of mashed potato with a beet reduction or sauce on the plate. We both felt that the beet flavour wasn't a match with the scallop and the presentation included too much mashed potato.

Being served too much food is hardly an offence, we just felt that it missed slightly in presentation. Further the Dungeness crab and horseradish roll sounded intriguing but didn't work. Dungeness crab is a strong flavour but it didn't hold up against the strength of the horseradish used. I can see the combo working with a milder horseradish.

Our server, Matthew, was fantastic. He is clearly interested in Peruvian and South American culture and did the chef's menu a great service with his descriptions. We were dining at 8:30 in the evening, the restaurant was full.

My only complaint was that appetizer dishes remained on the table for a noticeable amount of time following completion, probably close to ten minutes. When the table was bussed, it was by Matthew and not one of his support staff...if that is how the restaurant functions.

Again, not a major fault but one that prevents me from saying the meal was among my best. All in all we really enjoyed our meal and will most definitely recommend Andina to friends and family visiting Portland.

Maryland
“Wow! Who knew?”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I've eaten in great restaurants in New York, Los Angeles, London, etc. When my hosts suggested a Peruvian restaurant, I was dubious but went along. Well. My gracious! This place is fantastic. The service is attentive and pleasant. The venue is beautiful. And the food is really an interesting combination of Peruvian flavors (lots of quinoa in lots of interesting variations) with French/Italian influences. We ate the small plates in order to get a wide variety of choices and were glad we did. Many gluten-free choices, all delicious.

And you simply must save room for dessert. Trust me. Do it.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Portlandia Peruvian”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided to order small plates to share for dinner instead of getting bigger entrees. It allowed us to try a few more bites. Our faves were the Mixta Nikkei (can't remember what it was, but it was super tasty) and the scallop in caramelized brown sugar. Delish! We also got the fried, stuffed yuca, which was good, but a bit too starchy for my taste. We were full with 3 small plates and plenty of gratis bread with dipping sauces. Our server was terrific--very knowledgeable in helping us navigate the menu. Even on a Monday night, it was packed. Definitely make reservations in advance or be prepared to be turned away at the door. We had a great meal, but I think it would have been better with a larger party than just the 2 of us because we could have tried even more dishes!

Greenwich, Connecticut, United States
“Consistent”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great small plates, and service to match. We sat in the bar area, and there was live music…..very cool!

Visited March 2014