“EMPANADA HEAVEN”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Andina Restaurant

Andina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Andina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4,249 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Peruvian, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pearl
Cross street: 13th
Transit: Portland Streetcar: 10th/Glisan (Northbound to NW 23rd) and 11th/Glisan (Southbound to PSU)
Description: Andina draws inspiration from the native culinary traditions of Peru, as well as from the contemporary cooking by some of Peru’s leading chefs. Owner Doris Rodriguez de Platt, collaborates with Andina’s kitchen team to develop a menu that celebrates her family’s Andean roots, interweaving the ideas and techniques of both Criollo and Novo-Andean cuisines. The kitchen sources native and local ingredients to create dishes at once traditionally rooted and personally inspired. Founded in 2003, Andina emerged as one of the region’s leading Peruvian restaurants and continues to generate wide appeal within the food communities in and around Portland, and much further afield.
Portland, Oregon
“EMPANADA HEAVEN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Yes, there are MANY tasty options on the menu -- specialties from Peru -- seafood that is brilliant and prepared with a perfect light touch. But OH MY, those empanadas -- the perfect balance of savory/sweet, dusted with a cloud of powdered sugar. Pair these with the "house salad" with asparagus and hearts of palm tossed with lightly-dressed greens -- a perfect lunch or dinner. The padrone peppers are in season, grilled and served with a complex salsa. There's a rice pudding with chocolate and quinoa -- I've never seen or tasted anything like it. The servers at Andina are among the most knowledgable and professional in Portland. GO SOON -- with a reservation. It's a local favorite and always busy!!

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Humres32
“Outstanding Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We had several small plates instead of one large entree. Empanadas - excellent. Bay scallops with Parmesan - ok. Pequina peppers stuffed with quinoa - excellent. Asparagus - very good. We had a layered item - don't remember the name - it was mashed potatoes with crab on top - sounds odd - I'm not doing it justice. It was excellent. The bread with sauces which comes automatically was very good.

Our drink of choice was the sexy woman. That's not really the name but when you say the proper name it actually sounds like sexy woman. Habanero vodka with passion fruit purée and triple sec. Sweet but spicy. Love it. I remembered this drink from when we visited Andina 4-5 years ago. Was so happy this was stilling menu.

Service was very good. They all help one another out which is nice to see.

Highly recommend Andina! Make a reservation. They are busy.

Visited October 2013
“From an anglo/mex, some of the best latino food I have had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Better than Rick Bayless' Fontera Grill (except for the mole). We started w a sample of the habenero infused vodka, perfect heat for me, but I have drianed 1/2 a bottle of yucateca habenero in a meal or two. As an appetizer we had the chicharron prawns w a sweet sauce, not hot enough for me but delicious still the same. My wife and I split a couple of chili rellenos and the sweet pootato soup w diced pears. The soup was served hot and was very good, little sweet for me. The chilis were perfect. I have been force to eat rellenos at family events all my life and have never had one that wasn't geasy and gross, but what I had today was more like a somosa and perfectly delicious. I wanted to order a second small app, ut my wife was full. As an entree we split the beef lomo saltado which was also great. I asked for very hot sauce and got a habenero w a touch of ghost pepper salsa that was laced w mint and was the most flavorful heat I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Rick Bayless' was way hotter ghost based and 1/4 to 1/3 the amount but not as flavorful. My only complaint was that the first martini was serve cool, not cold, but w a cucumber. The serve David was quick to bring cubes. Perfect food and reasonably priced w great sevice and a good atmosphere. The place in oregon we will re-visit. The Painted Lady in Newberg will b tge second as we have 2 dinner resevations. Will re iew that one tomorrow. Go to Andina!

San Carlos
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Decided to try this restaurant due to the rave reviews it got. We thought the ambience and wait staff was nice and the food was tasty with some interesting dishes and ingredients. I think it might be a tad overrated and while we would probably not return if we went back to Portland, I'm glad we tried it.
Also, it gets QUITE noisy inside as the main dining area is just one giant room.

• Visited September 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Pearl District Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Well recommended by friends and the staffer at the Information Office in Pioneer Square. Excellent food and service. The dips were a tasty surprise. A bit pricey.

Visited September 2013