“Authentic-ish and Excellent”
Review of Andina Restaurant

Andina Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Andina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pearl
Cross street: 13th
Transit: Portland Streetcar: 10th/Glisan (Northbound to NW 23rd) and 11th/Glisan (Southbound to PSU)
Description: Andina draws inspiration from the native culinary traditions of Peru, as well as from the contemporary cooking by some of Peru’s leading chefs. Owner Doris Rodriguez de Platt, collaborates with Andina’s kitchen team to develop a menu that celebrates her family’s Andean roots, interweaving the ideas and techniques of both Criollo and Novo-Andean cuisines. The kitchen sources native and local ingredients to create dishes at once traditionally rooted and personally inspired. Founded in 2003, Andina emerged as one of the region’s leading Peruvian restaurants and continues to generate wide appeal within the food communities in and around Portland, and much further afield.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ok not much can be said that hasn't already been said in all the reviews. Let me just say three things.
1. Come here. You will have an excellent experience.
2. We are Peruvian and my MIL is a wonderful chef. With that said, we found the menu to be delightful and the food was very good. My husband ordered the Arroz con Pato and it was very good, though not prepared in typical Peruvian fashion. I ordered the special, which was pollo al horno and happens to be my favorite dish. I did not like it, but am giving them the benefit of the doubt, that it was good but just not to my palette.
3. I booked reservations 3 weeks ahead of time for our party of 2 on opentable.com. I mentioned on my online submission that it was my husbands birthday. When we were eating at the restaraunt we decided not to tell the server and were not going to mention his birthday. We ordered dessert, and when they brought it out it had a candle and "Feliz cumpleanos" written on the plate in chocolate. We were shocked at how efficient/organized they were and remembered the note I had left 3 weeks before. It was a real delight.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Andina pulses with the vibrancy of people who lovingly prepare food for those who enjoy creative cuisine. Small plates to desserts, diners will find sweet and savory offerings aplenty without a single "ho-hum" menu item. The wine offerings are just as interesting. Parking can be a challenge but there are public parking lots close by. Or, walk on over and work up an appetite. There isn't a better Portland restaurant on which to spend your calories!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. I was totally looking forward to the Andina experience and it turned out to be pretty crappy. Don't get me wrong, food was good but the waitress service was a big disappointment. We were at Andina for Thanksgiving dinner and it was a prie fixed menu which also meant an automatic 20% tip. Maybe the waitress was so neglectful because crappy service or not, she was getting hers. We felt like we had to constantly grab her attention just to order, ask a question, get a drink. We spent over $250 for dinner, which is okay IF we were getting the service matched it. Too bad and what a shame for TripAdvisor's #1 restaurant in Portland.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Everything is so tasty. Weekends, live music in the bar area. The mix of spices gives everything a slightly S. American flavor. Appetizers and Sangria, yumm.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I ate here for a second time, ordering small plates and splitting a dessert. It's the perfect way to have a few tastes of some delicious food. We had stuffed peppers and bay scallops and a couple other dishes, and then shared a dessert of chocolate cake ice cream (really good) and coffee (really good). The server was fairly attentive and we had a very nice meal--atmosphere is fun, if a little loud.

Been to Andina Restaurant? Share your experiences!