“Breakfast is served!”

Byways Cafe
Ranked #65 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Pearl
Walnut, California
“Breakfast is served!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

For us this is a must for breakfast when we're in Portland. It's a place Portlanders go, too. Our favorites are the Mt. Rushmore Hash, Blue Corn Pancakes, and Alamo Scramble. The coffee is excellent, and the orange juice fresh. Every server has been personable and helpful. Service is prompt once you get a table, and it's worth the usual wait for a table. Yum!

• Visited July 2013

Rocklin, California
“Lunch was just ehhh.”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I guess from other reviews we should've visited for breakfast. My soup for lunch was bland and barely warm. It certainly was nothing inspiring a second visit to the café. Our service was fine, but nothing special here either. Maybe we just hit an off day. Either way Portland is loaded with lots of great restaurants to try.

Willamette Valley, Oregon
“Best Reuben Sandwich”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you like diners, this one has great personality. The service was friendly and the food was delicious and fresh. My coffee cup was kept full...my personal gauge for good service.

Atlanta
“Favorite breakfast and lunch in Portland!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Never miss this place when I'm in Portland. Love the old diner style ambiance in the middle of the urban city environment. The.staff is super fun and really enjoy the food.

Omelets are delicious...pancakes amazing too. Had the turkey burger for lunch...probably one of the best I've had.

Pa
“Great Saturday Breakfast”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

On the way to Amtrak, I asked the cab driver to drop me off at a place to have breakfast, a restaurant where he would go. He dropped me at the Byways Cafe. I sat at the counter as others were waiting for a table. I was greeted with a smile and a glass of ice water! WOW! What a treat! Pleasant lady for a waitperson, we chatted a little and I ordered an omelet with bacon, spinach and Tillamock, wow, great choice! Sourdough toast and orange wedges as well. Fresh fruit bowls/cups looked handmade to order. Friendly staff everywhere as I suspect they do not have bad days. People enjoy their jobs. I enjoyed my meal. Old style diner service and they know how to do it. I suggest you try it. The was a wait for couples and larger parties, I would try it on Saturday or anytime.